Predicted distribution in x generations?

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a stochastic matrix to predict the distribution of college-educated and non-college educated households in the DFW area over 10 generations. The conversation also clarifies the convention for calculating the predicted distribution, with some possible variability depending on the instructor or textbook.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Consider the stochastic matrix P giving the probabilities of non-college educated households having at least one college educated child.
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
.9 & .25\\
.1 & .75 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

If there are currently 300,000 college educated households, and 750000 noncollege educated households, in DFW, what is the predicted distribution in 10 generations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have
P =
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
.9 & .25\\
.1 & .75 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

and
x_0
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
300\\
750\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

So the predicted distribution in 10 generations will be P^9 * x_0, right? Not P^10 * x_0

Sorry I know its probably a simple question but I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Consider the stochastic matrix P giving the probabilities of non-college educated households having at least one college educated child.
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
.9 & .25\\
.1 & .75 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

If there are currently 300,000 college educated households, and 750000 noncollege educated households, in DFW, what is the predicted distribution in 10 generations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have
P =
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
.9 & .25\\
.1 & .75 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

and
x_0
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
300\\
750\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

So the predicted distribution in 10 generations will be P^9 * x_0, right? Not P^10 * x_0

Sorry I know its probably a simple question but I'm just trying to make sense of this.

As I interpret it, the distribution In one generation is ##x_1 = P x_0##, etc. However, you should use whatever convention your instructor/textbook uses.

Perhaps this is a bit like the difference between building descriptions in North America and Britain: in North America the first floor is on the ground level, but in Britain it is one floor above the ground.

Ray Vickson said:
As I interpret it, the distribution In one generation is ##x_1 = P x_0##, etc. However, you should use whatever convention your instructor/textbook uses.

Perhaps this is a bit like the difference between building descriptions in North America and Britain: in North America the first floor is on the ground level, but in Britain it is one floor above the ground.

Alright. I think your interpretation is correct. I remember my instructor mentioning something about this but my memory is not perfect so I wasnt sure, but that makes sense to me, Since you start with an inital population, and that times P^1 = your first generation...

1. What is "Predicted distribution in x generations"?

"Predicted distribution in x generations" refers to the projected or estimated distribution of a certain trait or characteristic among a population after a certain number of generations have passed. It is often used in studies and experiments of genetics, evolution, and population dynamics.

2. How is "Predicted distribution in x generations" calculated?

The calculation of "Predicted distribution in x generations" involves various factors such as the current distribution of the trait, the rate of inheritance, and the environmental conditions. It can be calculated using mathematical models and simulations based on these factors.

3. Can "Predicted distribution in x generations" be accurate?

While "Predicted distribution in x generations" can provide valuable insights and predictions, it is not always accurate. There are many variables that can affect the actual distribution in a population, such as genetic mutations, natural selection, and environmental changes. Therefore, the predicted distribution should be interpreted with caution and may require further validation.

4. What is the importance of studying "Predicted distribution in x generations"?

Studying "Predicted distribution in x generations" can help us understand the patterns and mechanisms of inheritance and evolution. It can also provide valuable information for conservation efforts and managing populations, such as predicting the spread of diseases or the effects of climate change on certain species.

5. Can "Predicted distribution in x generations" be used for human populations?

Yes, "Predicted distribution in x generations" can also be used for human populations, especially in the field of genetic counseling and predicting the risk of certain diseases. However, it is important to note that human populations are complex and can be influenced by various social and cultural factors, which may limit the accuracy of the predictions.