1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Probability Distribution

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The College Board reports that 2% of the 2 million high school students who take the SAT each year receive special accommodations because of documented disabilities. Consider a random sample of 25 students who have recently taken the test.

a.) What is the probability that exactly 1 received a special accommodation?
    b.) What is the probability that at least 1 received a special accommodation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a.) [tex]\begin{pmatrix}
    \end{pmatrix}.02^x(1-.02)^{(25-1)} = .3079[/tex]

30% seems kind of high. If 40,000 students out of 2,000,000 were {success} and chose 25 of the 2,000,000, there's a 30% chance I'd get 1 of the 40,000? That, just seems too high for some reason.

b.) [tex]

Does this look right? How can I calculate this? I don't believe I have to simplify it, per instructor's orders...but I'm not sure if I have it right to begin with.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    As far as A is concerned, it looks OK to me... wait for other opinions :\

as far as B is concerned, you can find the probability that zero out of the 25 students get the special accommodation and calculate
    1-(zero out of 25)= at least one

they are the complements of each other.

(none)+(at least 1)= 1
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    That is exactly what I thought. however, how can you calculate that 0 of 25 are {success}? It would come out as this:

Do I ignore the 25C0 at the beginning? If I do, I get:

[tex]1-[{(1-.02)^{(25)}}] = 1 - .603 = .397
  5. Feb 21, 2010 #4
    25 choose 0 is 1. Intuitively there is only one way to choose 0 things (namely by choosing nothing). But 0! is defined to be 1. Also your part a) is correct. It's only a sample after all.
  6. Feb 21, 2010 #5
  7. Feb 21, 2010 #6
    Ooh. Right. 0!=1. Somehow, that slipped my mind.

Thanks a lot.
  8. Feb 21, 2010 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

25C0 = 1. There's only one way to select nothing from 25.

Your answer to part a is correct. It may seem high, but it's not. The effect of what seems like small probabilities can build up very quickly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook