Prereq for Will: Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Phys

In summary, The conversation is about the book "Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Physics" by Clifford M. Will, which is considered an important reference for modern research in General Relativity. It is mentioned that the book can be used as a graduate textbook, but prior knowledge in GR is necessary to understand it. The person also asks for recommendations for an introduction to the PPN formalism for gravity, which is suggested to be Poisson and Will's book.
Cygnus_A
Hi, I'm wondering how much prior knowledge I would need to get a lot out of this book. I'm considering taking an undergraduate General Relativity course next semester to help me learn parts of this book. I have some basic experience with curvilinear coords/tensor analysis along with a brief understanding of GR and cosmology from a couple seminars I attended.

Has anyone read parts of this book? It seems to be an extremely important reference for modern research in GR. The preface states that it can be used as a graduate textbook, but I get the feeling that it couldn't be used as an introduction, even for a grad course.

Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Physics
Author: Clifford M. Will
Date Published: March 1993

links for more info:
adsabs harvard
google books
about author

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows of other good books for an intro to the PPN formalism for gravity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You definitely need to have taken a graduate sequence in GR in order to get anything out of Cliff Will's book. It's a brilliant book and I've used it as a reference for research a handful of times but it's definitely not a pedagogical text.

As for an introduction to PPN, I would recommend Poisson and Will.

Likes Cygnus_A
Thanks! that's exactly what I was looking for

1. What is the significance of "Prereq for Will" in gravitational physics?

"Prereq for Will" refers to a key prerequisite for understanding the theories and experiments involved in gravitational physics, specifically in relation to the work of physicist Clifford Will. It encompasses the necessary background knowledge and skills needed to comprehend and apply his theories and experiments.

2. Who is Clifford Will and why is his work important?

Clifford Will is a renowned theoretical physicist known for his contributions in the field of gravitational physics. His work has been instrumental in shaping our understanding of the fundamental force of gravity and its effects on the universe. His theories and experiments have also been crucial in testing and confirming Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. How do theory and experiment work together in gravitational physics?

Theory and experiment are two essential components of the scientific method in gravitational physics. Theories are developed based on mathematical models that describe the behavior of gravity, while experiments are conducted to test these theories and verify their predictions. Together, they form a cycle of refining and improving our understanding of gravity and its effects.

4. What are some key topics covered in "Prereq for Will" in gravitational physics?

Some key topics covered in "Prereq for Will" include the principles of classical mechanics, special and general relativity, tensor calculus, and celestial mechanics. These topics provide a foundation for understanding the more complex theories and experiments in gravitational physics.

5. How does "Prereq for Will" impact other fields of physics?

"Prereq for Will" is not only important in gravitational physics but also has implications for other fields of physics. For example, the principles of special and general relativity have been applied to other areas such as cosmology and particle physics. Additionally, the mathematical techniques used in gravitational physics, such as tensor calculus, have been adopted in other fields of study as well.