1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Prereq for Will: Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Phys

1. Aug 3, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm wondering how much prior knowledge I would need to get a lot out of this book. I'm considering taking an undergraduate General Relativity course next semester to help me learn parts of this book. I have some basic experience with curvilinear coords/tensor analysis along with a brief understanding of GR and cosmology from a couple seminars I attended.

Has anyone read parts of this book? It seems to be an extremely important reference for modern research in GR. The preface states that it can be used as a graduate textbook, but I get the feeling that it couldn't be used as an introduction, even for a grad course.

Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Physics
    Author: Clifford M. Will
    Date Published: March 1993

links for more info:
    adsabs harvard
    google books
    about author

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows of other good books for an intro to the PPN formalism for gravity.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2015 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You definitely need to have taken a graduate sequence in GR in order to get anything out of Cliff Will's book. It's a brilliant book and I've used it as a reference for research a handful of times but it's definitely not a pedagogical text.

As for an introduction to PPN, I would recommend Poisson and Will.

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3
    Thanks! that's exactly what I was looking for

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted