Fundamental Principles of Classical Mechanics - Kai S. Lam

In summary, the conversation is about a Mechanics course that uses a math-heavy book written by the professor teaching the course. The person speaking is struggling with some of the language and is considering sharing the first chapter with others. They believe that more advanced individuals would appreciate the book.
DrPapper
Hello all,

I'm currently taking an upper undergraduate two part Mechanics course using the above mentioned book by its author.

He's a great professor and I was wondering if anyone else has checked out this book? It's very math heavy and I'm struggling with some of the language since I haven't been exposed much to group theory, differential geometry... The book is pretty turse, but that is probably a strength to those stronger in math. Let me know any thoughts. I could ask the author if I could post the first chapter here if people would like. :D

I think the more advanced people would love this book.

Likes Joker93
DrPapper said:
Hello all,

I'm currently taking an upper undergraduate two part Mechanics course using the above mentioned book by its author.

He's a great professor and I was wondering if anyone else has checked out this book? It's very math heavy and I'm struggling with some of the language since I haven't been exposed much to group theory, differential geometry... The book is pretty turse, but that is probably a strength to those stronger in math. Let me know any thoughts. I could ask the author if I could post the first chapter here if people would like. :D

I think the more advanced people would love this book.
Hello, I also want to check that book out. I find it very interesting. Would you be willing to post the first chapter here or maybe email it to me please?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of objects in the macroscopic world, using principles such as force, mass, and energy. It is based on the laws of motion developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are the fundamental principles of classical mechanics?

The fundamental principles of classical mechanics include Newton's three laws of motion, the principle of conservation of energy, and the principle of least action. These principles form the basis of our understanding of the behavior of objects in the physical world.

3. How are the laws of classical mechanics applied in real-world scenarios?

The laws of classical mechanics can be applied to a wide range of real-world scenarios, from the motion of planets in our solar system to the movement of a car on a road. They are used to predict and explain the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world.

4. What is the significance of classical mechanics in modern science?

Classical mechanics is considered the foundation of modern physics and has been instrumental in the development of other branches of science, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism. It also serves as the basis for more advanced theories, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. How has our understanding of classical mechanics evolved over time?

Our understanding of classical mechanics has evolved significantly since its development in the 17th century by Newton. It has been refined and expanded upon by scientists such as Galileo, Kepler, and Einstein, leading to a deeper understanding of the physical world and the development of new technologies.