• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Prereqs for learning particle physics?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I want to start studying particle physics on my own and wanted to know what the prerequisite are? I'm in my second year of college and have finished Calc. 3 and Physics with calc. 3. I'd also be interested in textbook recommendations.

Answers and Replies

On the theoretical side, particle physics is quantum field theory. Relativistic quantum mechanics helps, which then needs special relativity and nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. Electrodynamics is probably useful to understand special relativity better. Nonrelativistic quantum mechanics relies on concepts introduced in classical mechanics (in particular, Hamilton/Lagrange formalism) and algebra and analysis.

On the experimental side, special relativity is absolutely necessary, if you want to understand the detectors some solid-state physics is necessary, electrodynamics for sure, maybe electronics depending on the level of detail.

I'm sure I forgot some points.

try Quantum Physics: The Theoretical Minimum - Books 1 & 2 - by Susskind

try Quantum Physics: The Theoretical Minimum - Books 1 & 2 - by Susskind
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

On the theoretical side, particle physics is quantum field theory. Relativistic quantum mechanics helps, which then needs special relativity and nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. Electrodynamics is probably useful to understand special relativity better. Nonrelativistic quantum mechanics relies on concepts introduced in classical mechanics (in particular, Hamilton/Lagrange formalism) and algebra and analysis.

On the experimental side, special relativity is absolutely necessary, if you want to understand the detectors some solid-state physics is necessary, electrodynamics for sure, maybe electronics depending on the level of detail.

I'm sure I forgot some points.
Thanks for your advice, looks like I have some work to do :)

DrSteve
Gold Member
I want to start studying particle physics on my own and wanted to know what the prerequisite are? I'm in my second year of college and have finished Calc. 3 and Physics with calc. 3. I'd also be interested in textbook recommendations.
An excellent undergraduate book is Griffiths "Introduction to Elementary Particles"

"Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics" by Alessandro Bettini, and "Particle Physics" by B.R.Martin and G.Shaw are both good and used in many third year introductory courses. Most courses at this level also require an introductory course in quantum physics as a prerequisite, so you need that background.

Also, you can search online for a syllabus, lecture slides, course notes, etc. for an introductory course. That can help you plan your studies.

Last edited: