Preserving data with a new OS install

In summary, if you want to install a new OS on a locked laptop, you will need to remove the hard disk and extract data on other devices.
Eakkoy
This is a locked laptop,in order for it to work again,i need to install a new OS , i am going to remove the hard disk of the computer and extract data on other devices. My friend told me that this is ok, but I am worried that the data saved on the hard disk of the computer will be lost.
Maybe there is a safer and easier method.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Often people will remove a hard disk and make it an external drive using a kit. From there, you can use USB to connect it to your newer computer and extract files as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAA4J6G/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However, be aware that some OSes encrypt hard disks making it difficult to impossible to extract your files without the encryption methodology and key.

Knoppix is often used to access drives that have some read issue so you could check that out.

https://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
However, be aware that some OSes encrypt hard disks making it difficult to impossible to extract your files without the encryption methodology and key.
Hard disk encryption is optional and up to the user to decide, and the OS doesn't do it by default. At least that's how it is on Windows 10 (and other versions), don't know about other OS's.

Likes davenn
If it is not some disk error then you can try making a backup disk image first.
Worst case this will be the same size as the disk itself so better do this directly, by attaching the disk as real disk and not through any USB...

I went on a 5-day business trip,when i got home yesterday, i turned on my computer, but it was still locked,it is Windows 10,and this locked laptop hasn't worked for a week,and my colleague recommended Cain & Abel, which is free.Maybe i should try.

What is "Preserving data with a new OS install"?

"Preserving data with a new OS install" refers to the process of transferring and saving important files and data from a previous operating system installation to a new one. This is typically done when upgrading to a new version of an operating system or switching to a completely different one.

Why is it important to preserve data during a new OS install?

Preserving data during a new OS install is important because it ensures that important files and data are not lost during the installation process. This can include personal documents, photos, music, and other important files that may not be recoverable if they are not properly saved before the installation.

How can data be preserved during a new OS install?

Data can be preserved during a new OS install by backing up important files to an external hard drive or cloud storage before starting the installation process. It is also important to follow proper installation procedures and carefully select which files and data to transfer to the new OS.

Are there any risks involved in preserving data during a new OS install?

While preserving data during a new OS install is generally safe, there are some risks involved. One risk is that the transfer process may not be successful, resulting in some files being lost or corrupted. It is important to carefully follow instructions and double check that all important files have been backed up before proceeding with the installation.

Can all types of data be preserved during a new OS install?

In most cases, all types of data can be preserved during a new OS install. However, there may be some compatibility issues with certain file types or programs. It is recommended to check with the new OS's compatibility before proceeding with the installation and to have a backup plan in case any data cannot be transferred.