Will the third Obama-McCain debate have fireworks or stale bread?
- Topic: News
- Thread starter Ivan Seeking
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
129 replies · 16K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 12,038
- 2,339
remember that old commercial where michael jordan and larry bird are discussing banking shots off Mars or venus and charkles barkley is floating around saying: "hey let me try, i can make that!"
i feel like charles barkley in these discussions: "hey guys, i really did meet timothy leary, cesar chavez, kenneth galbraith, adlai stevenson, hubert humphrey, heard malcolm x, bb king, james brown, sat at a football game with jfk,..."oh well, thanks for letting me listen to your youthful debate.
i feel like charles barkley in these discussions: "hey guys, i really did meet timothy leary, cesar chavez, kenneth galbraith, adlai stevenson, hubert humphrey, heard malcolm x, bb king, james brown, sat at a football game with jfk,..."oh well, thanks for letting me listen to your youthful debate.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Is every working American named Joe? What about Suzy Sixpack?
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
ZapperZ said:I'll be seeing Kathy Griffin live during the last presidential debate tonight. I fully expect to be laughing my rear end off! So someone will have to condense what I missed in 20 words or less.
:)
Zz.
More of the same.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Wooohoooo! Early results on CNN are 58-31 Obama.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
They have now identified how the polling breaks down. Turns out that Independents favor Obama by ~ the same amount: 57-31. That's what he needed!
Get this. Obama was more likeable by 77-21.
McCain was the most negative by 80-11, or something close.
David Gergen is all but pronouncing McCain dead.
Get this. Obama was more likeable by 77-21.
McCain was the most negative by 80-11, or something close.
David Gergen is all but pronouncing McCain dead.
CaptainQuasar
- 372
- 0
Yeah, I thought Obama looked much better on this one. I think it was Paul Begala in the CNN commentary who said that McCain came off looking like Grumpy McNasty.
⚛
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,660
Ivan Seeking said:David Gergen is all but pronouncing McCain dead.
Gosh dag nabit! I've always voted for the underdog. I'm switching my vote this November to McCain.
And there I was, thinking I was going to be living in an Obama nation...
oh well. maybe next lifetime...
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
I just heard the Joe plumber bit and didn't feel I could stand much more.
I've never really seen Obama do much negative campaigning. Those 'negative' things I have heard were simply pointing out facts about McCain's (or Hillary's) track record. The anti-Obama ads I have seen almost always seem to be personal attacks.
I've never really seen Obama do much negative campaigning. Those 'negative' things I have heard were simply pointing out facts about McCain's (or Hillary's) track record. The anti-Obama ads I have seen almost always seem to be personal attacks.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
LowlyPion said:On the Fox Text Message Poll its running 87% McCain - 11% Obama.
According to the CNN poll, that was approximately the split among Republicans.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,660
TheStatutoryApe said:I just heard the Joe plumber bit and didn't feel I could stand much more.
I've never really seen Obama do much negative campaigning. Those 'negative' things I have heard were simply pointing out facts about McCain's (or Hillary's) track record. The anti-Obama ads I have seen almost always seem to be personal attacks.
I agree. How could Obama have not told that guy about S-Corporations. Is he trying to go mainstream or what? I mean, there must be 10's of thousands of business's in America that don't know about that loophole.
Oh wait... You're talking about the debate. Um... never mind.
Homework Helper
- 3,127
- 6
After reading the John Lewis statements again, I don't get what McCain's sniffling about. It's a wholly fabricated issue.
Lewis was clearly talking about the environment that they have been creating and not equating McCain to Wallace.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20081012/cm_thenation/45371531
Lewis was clearly talking about the environment that they have been creating and not equating McCain to Wallace.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20081012/cm_thenation/45371531
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
Ohio plumber becomes focus of debate
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_on_el_pr/joe_the_plumber
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_on_el_pr/joe_the_plumber
It would seem McCain, Obama and Wurzelbacher don't know much about corporate taxes. Even if Wurzelbacher's new business were to make more than $250K, he doesn't necessarily pay more taxes, and if face if he's smart, he won't pay any corporate income tax. It wasn't made clear if 'make' means gross or net earnings, i.e. before or after taxes and expenses. If properly structured, a small business can earn millions, as mine does and not pay taxes. Most small companies do not pay corporate income taxes.Earlier this week, when Wurzelbacher got a chance to speak with Obama when the candidate visited Toledo, he told Obama that his tax plan would keep him from buying the business that currently employs him.
. . . .
McCain then looked directly into the TV camera and said: "Joe, I want to tell you, I'll not only help you buy that business that you worked your whole life for and I'll keep your taxes low and I'll provide available and affordable health care for you and your employees. And I will not stand for a tax increase on small business income."
. . . .
"Not only do 98 percent of small businesses make less than $250,000, but I also want to give them additional tax breaks, because they are the drivers of the economy," Obama said. "They produce the most jobs."
. . . .
In Toledo on Sunday, Wurzelbacher told Obama that he was preparing the company, which earns more than $250,000 a year, and said: "Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?"
Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39 percent tax, instead of the current 36 percent rate.
"And the reason why we're doing that is because 95 percent of small businesses make less than 250 (thousand). So what I want to do is give them a tax cut. I want to give all these folks who are bus drivers, teachers, auto workers who make less, I want to give them a tax cut," he said.
. . . .
Last edited by a moderator:
Art
Joe the plumber says he is not going to start a business as his anticipated income of $250,000 a year will attract more tax under Obama.LightbulbSun said:Mccain is talking to Joe The Plumber now.
Personally I think Joe is right.
If Joe would forgo an income of $250K a year because he might have to pay a small amount of extra tax then he really shouldn't go into business as he is obviously too stupid to run one successfully.
phoenixy
Well, so that was it.
John McCain was taken to school, although he didn't have any class.
Tom Daschle: "2/3 of Americans already think John McCain is an angry candidate, it looked like tonight he spent 90 minutes trying to convince the other third."
Edit: I am so looking forward to this week's SNL. It's going to completely destroy Joe the plumber the plant. This guy is already voluntarily doing surreal interviews that can be consider as self-parody. Whoever he eventually endorse in this election, it will make McCain camp look bad.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/
John McCain was taken to school, although he didn't have any class.
Tom Daschle: "2/3 of Americans already think John McCain is an angry candidate, it looked like tonight he spent 90 minutes trying to convince the other third."
Edit: I am so looking forward to this week's SNL. It's going to completely destroy Joe the plumber the plant. This guy is already voluntarily doing surreal interviews that can be consider as self-parody. Whoever he eventually endorse in this election, it will make McCain camp look bad.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/
The Joe file
Two readers with access to the Ohio voter file say that Joe Wurzelbacher's inluence on this cycle will be limited in one way: He doesn't appear to be registered to vote.
(And yes, the freelance opposition research on Joe began before the debate ended.)
Last edited by a moderator:
Flat
- 62
- 1
McCain had some of the best facial expressions (like when Obama brought up fox news).
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,660
Art said:Joe the plumber says he is not going to start a business as his anticipated income of $250,000 a year will attract more tax under Obama.
Personally I think Joe is right.
If Joe would forgo an income of $250K a year because he might have to pay a small amount of extra tax then he really shouldn't go into business as he is obviously too stupid to run one successfully.
What do you expect? He's a plumber! He should hire a tax attorney for $250k/year and then he wouldn't have to worry about any profits.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,660
LowlyPion said:"Joe" is scheduled as a guest on Huckabee this weekend on Fox.
The question to me now is whether Joe was a plant, or is just a poor schlep caught in the media crosshairs.
I just watched the Cavuto-Joe interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PnK...pelled_joe_the_plumber_into_the_limelight.php
He claims to live in a $90,000 house, and lives paycheck to paycheck. Let's see, even if all of his $250,000 were taxed at 39%, his company would net $150,000 a year. Enough to buy a bigger house every year for the rest of his life! He also called Obama a socialist. Does he think the current tax structure is not socialist? What exactly is Obama doing that politicians haven't been doing with tax structures for decades? He's simply bumping the numbers around.
Yes Astro, I know what you said, and I agree. 10 minutes with a tax adviser and the whole thing becomes moot.
My new opinion of Joe is that he is someone who does not want Obama to be president. And it has nothing to do with Obama's tax plan.
Art said:If Joe would forgo an income of $250K a year because he might have to pay a small amount of extra tax then he really shouldn't go into business as he is obviously too stupid to run one successfully.
I now agree. No one that stupid should run a business.
LightbulbSun
- 64
- 2
Not that he's qualified to discuss politics, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Francesa" said this was Mccain's best debate last night, and that the economic crisis is not Bush's fault because Wall Street has been full of crooks for 40 years. And now the fallacious argument "no one ever mentions this, since 9/11 we haven't been attacked. Isn't that a good job by the president? They've kept us safe for 7 years."
This is proof positive that not all opinions are equally valid.Now he's harping on about how Bush's strong point was keeping us safe for 7 years. My god, this is such a dumb argument. And before 9/11 we were safe for 8 years so that must of been Clinton's strong point.
This is proof positive that not all opinions are equally valid.Now he's harping on about how Bush's strong point was keeping us safe for 7 years. My god, this is such a dumb argument. And before 9/11 we were safe for 8 years so that must of been Clinton's strong point.
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It was just on CNN, the guy pretending to be "Joe the Plumber" isn't even a licensed plumber. The whole thing is a fraud. A fraud that McCain made a big part of his debate. OOOOPS. Might want to watch the gullibility there McCain.
LightbulbSun
- 64
- 2
Evo said:It was just on CNN, the guy pretending to be "Joe the Plumber" isn't even a licensed plumber. The whole thing is a fraud. A fraud that McCain made a big part of his debate. OOOOPS. Might want to watch the gullibility there McCain.
And so the plot thickens.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
That's not fair. He does work for a plumbing company, doesn't he?Evo said:It was just on CNN, the guy pretending to be "Joe the Plumber" isn't even a licensed plumber. The whole thing is a fraud.
Count Iblis
- 1,859
- 8
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_on_el_pr/joe_the_plumber" 
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
So the guy doesn't run a business; he isn't a licensed plumber; he supposes that if he did, and if he was, and if he knew how to run a business, Obama's plan would hurt him because he would make too much money.
Got it.
I suggest that Joe doesn't have a clue.
Got it.
I suggest that Joe doesn't have a clue.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
It gets funnier.Count Iblis said:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_on_el_pr/joe_the_plumber"![]()
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aWDHvDjnDnTs&refer=home"
Last edited by a moderator: