Pressing a Block against a Wall

In summary: There is nothing wrong with what you originally did. You just defined "a" with the opposite direction than the way they did. Very nice job.In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a homework question involving a block with mass M being pushed with a force F0 at an angle theta against a frictionless wall, connected to another hanging block with mass m by an ideal string and pulleys. The conversation covers the formation of equations using Newton's Law for the two blocks, finding the acceleration of the hanging block, predicting the acceleration if the hand stops pushing, and finding the acceleration for specific values of theta, m, M, and F0. The correct equations for parts a, b, and d are provided
PokemonMaster

Homework Statement

I have this homework question and was able to set up the free body diagrams for the two blocks but got stuck forming the equations in part a. Please help if you can and give explanations - I want to understand the concept for my test coming up.
A block with mass M is pushed with a force F0 at an angle theta against a frictionless wall. It is connected to another hanging block with mass m by an ideal string and pulleys.
a. Apply Newton's Law in each direction for the two blocks to find 4 equations using the symbols given above.
b. Find an expression for the acceleration of m (the hanging block).
c. What does your answer in part b predict for the acceleration "a" if the hand stops pushing? Does this make sense?
d. What is the acceleration "a" of m if theta = 23.5 degrees, m = 3.2 kg, M = 2.1 , and F0 = 4.9 N?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
FG = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

a. *a1 = acceleration of block M a2 = acceleration of block m
For M
x: Fnet = 0 y: Mg - T - F0(cos theta) = Ma1
For m
x: Fnet = 0 y: T - mg = ma2
b. a2 = (Mg - F0 cos theta - Ma1 - mg) / m
* I think something went wrong here *
**** Is the acceleration of block M and m different or the same? I cannot figure that one out.
Is it perhaps that their accelerations are different with the hand present and the same with the hand not present?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--> I could not solve c or d because I don't know if "a" is the acceleration of block M or m or if their accelerations are equal.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the string changing in length, or is its length constant? If its length is constant, what can you say about a1 and a2?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is the string changing in length, or is its length constant? If its length is constant, what can you say about a1 and a2?

Chet
The length of the string is constant. Does this mean that a1 and a2 are equal?

PokemonMaster said:
At every moment in time, the amount that M moves up has to match the amount that m moves down if the length of the string is constant.

Likes PokemonMaster
PokemonMaster said:

I was thinking that a1 and a2 are not equal because the while the same tension acts on both blocks, block M has the additional pressing force.

PokemonMaster said:
I was thinking that a1 and a2 are not equal because the while the same tension acts on both blocks, block M has the additional pressing force.
What does the kinematics of the motion tell you?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What does the kinematics of the motion tell you?

Chet

I suppose that the two blocks have to move the same amount within the same amount of time since they are attached to the same string - therefore their accelerations are equal regardless of the forces.

PokemonMaster said:
I suppose that the two blocks have to move the same amount within the same amount of time since they are attached to the same string - therefore their accelerations are equal regardless of the forces.
You suppose correctly.

Chet

PokemonMaster said:
It is not "regarless of forces". The tension in the string adjusts so that the net forces and the the two accelerations will be the same.

Likes PokemonMaster
I am still having difficulty forming the correct equations for part a. Here is my revised attempt.

a.
Mg - T - F0(cos theta) = Ma
and
T - mg = ma

b.
a = (Mg - mg - F0cos theta) / (m + M)

Can someone perhaps point out what mistake I made? I think it has to do with the direction of the forces (positive versus negative), but I have reworked it and do not know how to fix these.

PokemonMaster said:
I am still having difficulty forming the correct equations for part a. Here is my revised attempt.

a.
Mg - T - F0(cos theta) = Ma
and
T - mg = ma

b.
a = (Mg - mg - F0cos theta) / (m + M)

Can someone perhaps point out what mistake I made? I think it has to do with the direction of the forces (positive versus negative), but I have reworked it and do not know how to fix these.

Perhaps what I don't understand is which direction the acceleration of the two blocks is. If I knew that I would know which forces to set positive and negative.

a. Apply Newton's Law in each direction for the two blocks to find 4 equations using the symbols given above.
b. Find an expression for the acceleration of m (the hanging block).
c. What does your answer in part b predict for the acceleration "a" if the hand stops pushing? Does this make sense?
d. What is the acceleration "a" of m if theta = 23.5 degrees, m = 3.2 kg, M = 2.1 , and F0 = 4.9 N?

Actually, I think I have solved the question. I have posted my newest solutions to parts b and d.

b. a = (mg + F0cos theta - Mg) / (M + m)
d. a = 2.903 m/s^2

There is nothing wrong with what you originally did. You just defined "a" with the opposite direction than the way they did. Very nice job.

Chet

1. What is the purpose of pressing a block against a wall?

The purpose of pressing a block against a wall is to create a stable and secure structure. This can be used in construction, where blocks are pressed against walls to support the weight of the building.

2. How does pressing a block against a wall work?

When a block is pressed against a wall, it creates a frictional force between the block and the wall. This force prevents the block from sliding or falling and provides stability to the structure.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of pressing a block against a wall?

The effectiveness of pressing a block against a wall depends on factors such as the weight and size of the block, the material of the block and the wall, and the angle at which the block is pressed against the wall.

4. Can pressing a block against a wall be used in other applications besides construction?

Yes, pressing a block against a wall can be used in various applications such as weightlifting, where weights are pressed against a wall to provide resistance and build muscle strength.

5. Is pressing a block against a wall a sustainable method of construction?

Pressing a block against a wall can be a sustainable method of construction as it does not require the use of additional materials such as adhesives or fasteners. It also allows for easy disassembly and reuse of the blocks in future constructions.