1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure drag acting on a sphere

1. Nov 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to show that the pressure drag acting on a sphere is 2πμaU by integrating around the surface of the sphere where U is the speed of the fluid the sphere is in, a is its radius, and μ is the viscosity.

2. Relevant equations
    The pressure at a given position r can be written as:
    P-P0 = -1.5μUacos(Θ)/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried integrating the above equation for Θ from 0 to 2π over the surface of the sphere but my answer is 0 which is clearly not the correct answer. I feel like this should be a fairly easy integration but I do not know how else to go about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2017 #2
    The pressure acts normal to the surface of the sphere at all locations. So, you have to include this directionality in your determination of the drag force.

4. Nov 9, 2017 #3
    Does this mean that I should multiply the area element dS by the unit normal vector?

5. Nov 9, 2017 #4
    You definitely have to integrate the forces vectoriallly. How you do this depends on how you want to approach it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted