Pressure drop across an orifice (Orifice pressure drop in meters?)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
scottniblock
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



ΔP = 1000 x 9.81 x (Orifice pressure drop in m)

Pressure drop across orifice = 470.72 Pa


2. Homework Equations



3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how this works. How can pressure be converted to meters? It does not make sense to me.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Scott
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To convert a pressure (Pa) to a pressure head (m) divide by ρg (N/m^3).
 
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Still slightly confused.

It is ΔP that I need to find in order to calculate the ideal mass flowrate of air.

Do I already have the answer to the question, ie ΔP = 470.72 Pa ?
 
or do I need to use an Air properties table to find ρ at the temperature I am given?
 
Question

Orifice pressure drop in meters = (Pa (N/m^2 ))/(ρg (N/m^3 )) This gives answer in meters


Question 1

Given:
T = 312 K
ρ = 1.1333 kg/m^3 (From Air properties table)
g = 9.81 m/s^2

Orifice pressure drop = 470.72 Pa

Calculation:

Orifice pressure drop in meters = 470.72 / (9.81x1.1333) = 42.34 meters

This answer does not seem right, looks way too large.
 
Sorry, I thought you were only looking for the conversion and I assumed you were talking about an incompressible fluid not a compressible gas. So I can't help you there.