Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure generated from gasoline combustion

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    how much pressure can be generated upon ignition of gasoline/air in an internal chamber at atmospheric pressure? I know that combustion engines can generate well over 1000 psi on the piston but this occurs when the air is compressed to begin with.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2
    Are you saying that you have a stoichiometric mixture of air and gasoline vapor in an insulated rigid chamber at atmospheric pressure and you want to know what the pressure and temperature will be in the chamber after complete combustion?

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3
    Yes please. I'm trying to build a tool that uses a blow of compressed air from a compressor (150 psi) but I would like to know if gasoline would work better.

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4
    This sounds very dangerous. Physics Forums rules and guidelines preclude us from giving advice on dangerous endeavors. Please consider not pursuing this alternative.

6. Jul 15, 2016 #5
    You are building a bomb. Don't do this.

Experiments like these were performed by combustion experts at our university and the safety regulations were extreme: specially made combustion chamber, blast shields, remote controlled setup...

Don't do this!

7. Jul 18, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No. You will kill yourself and possibly many others. Please do not attempt this.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook