Pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure of air in a cylinder and how it acts in relation to the pressure of water. The equation Pcylinder= -(Pair + Pwater) is provided by the teacher, but there is confusion about why Pair is acting in the same direction as Pwater. It is clarified that P_air is the pressure of air inside the cylinder and that there are two forces acting on the plate - atmospheric pressure and the sum of three forces, including the pressure of the air inside the cylinder. The conversation ends with gratitude for the explanation.
zerogoal
Hi may i know if the pressure of air in the cylinder is acting upwards or downwards? I know the pressure of the cylinder is acting downwards and the pressure of water is acting upwards.

My teacher gave me this equation Pcyclinder= -(Pair + Pwater)

However i do not know why Pair is acting in the same direction as Pwater. I thought Pair should be acting downwards, acting on the water instead?

Can someone help me with this? Thanks

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,284
Physics news on Phys.org
P_air is the pressure of the air INSIDE the cylinder. you basically have 2 forces acting on the plate, up and down. The "up" force is atmospheric pressure that you can calculate knowing the pressure and the surface area. The "down" force is actually the sum of 3 forces. The weight of the plate, the weight of the water (pressure of the water), and the pressure, P_air, of the air inside the cylinder.

hey thanks for taking the time to help me with this question. finally understood.

1. What is the relationship between the water level and pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water?

The pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water is directly proportional to the water level. As the water level increases, the pressure at that point also increases.

2. How does the shape of the cylinder affect the pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water?

The shape of the cylinder does not affect the pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water. As long as the water level remains the same, the pressure will also remain the same.

3. How does the amount of water in the cylinder affect the pressure?

The amount of water in the cylinder does affect the pressure. As the amount of water increases, the pressure also increases. This is because there is more water pushing down on the bottom of the cylinder, creating a greater force and therefore a higher pressure.

4. Does the temperature of the water affect the pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect the pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water. As the temperature of the water increases, the pressure also increases. This is because the molecules in the water move faster and collide with each other more, creating a greater force and therefore a higher pressure.

5. How does the atmospheric pressure interact with the pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water?

The atmospheric pressure does not directly interact with the pressure in an inverted cylinder partially filled with water. However, the atmospheric pressure does affect the total pressure in the cylinder, as it is added to the pressure created by the weight of the water. This is known as gauge pressure.