Pressure in spinning water column in ultracentrifuge

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter harlow_barton
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid Pressure Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
harlow_barton
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A test tube filled with water is being spun around in an ultracentrifuge with angular velocity. The test tube is lying along a radius and the free surface of the water is at radius r(o).

Show that the pressure at radius r within the test tube is:

p = .5(p)(angular velocity)^2(r^(2) -r(o)^2)

where p is the density of the water. Ignore gravity and atmospheric pressure.


p = p - g(density)(height)


gravity or centripetal acceleration, a= r(angular velocity)^2

height or depth of water, h = r- r(o)

this only gets me to p= p + density*r*angular velocity^2(r-r(0))

I'm not sure where the rest comes from!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At any depth 'below' the surface, the pressure has to provide enough force to accelerate all the fluid 'above' it. Hint: Set up an integral.
 
Doc Al, I'm not sure I understand what I should be taking the integral of. Could you explain further?
 
harlow_barton said:
Doc Al, I'm not sure I understand what I should be taking the integral of. Could you explain further?
Write an expression for the net force on an infinitesimal slice (thickness dr) of the fluid in the tube; then integrate from r(0) to r to find the total force, and then the pressure, at any point along the tube.