Pressure of gasoline in a closed container

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
barryj
Messages
856
Reaction score
51
Homework Statement
A small amount of gasoline is placed in a 1 liter container along with the normal atmospheric pressure of 760 torr at 25C. Much but not all of the gasoline evaporates creating an increased pressure inside the container. At equilibrium, what will be the total pressure in the container?
Relevant Equations
pv = nrt P total = P atmosphere + P gasoline
If I knew how much of the gasoline evaporated, then I could use p = nRT/V to fine the partial pressure of the gasoline and add it to the pressure of the atmosphere. So my question is, How do I find how much of the gasoline will evaporate. I would think that the gasoline would evaporate until it reached some critical pressure at which time the evaporation rate would equal the disolving rate. but how do I find this? Is there some law I do not know about?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons, and it doesn't have a definite composition - so it is not like there is an unambiguous answer to the question.

There is not much you can do without tables of saturated vapor pressure of gasoline (or it most typical components) at 25°C.