Velocity of liquid from bottom pinhole of closed container

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 7K views
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
I was searching for this since afternoon. Let me see it again.
My favorite version is with a playing card under an upside down glass of water so that you hold the glass upside down in mid-air with the water inside without supporting the playing card. It is fairly easy to do.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ravi Singh choudhary
Physics news on Phys.org
What I read;

Case 1: if you do this experiment in vacuum; cover plate will fall down (avoid other effect like boiling).
Case 2: Now in normal atmospheric condition; air need to go inside so that cover would fall; but if you have good sealing, it would never happen.

Now when I come to case 2 it appears very non-intuitive to me; what if there is only small of water in it.

Can you please elaborate.
 
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
Case 1: if you do this experiment in vacuum; cover plate will fall down (avoid other effect like boiling).
Case 2: Now in normal atmospheric condition; air need to go inside so that cover would fall; but if you have good sealing, it would never happen.

Now when I come to case 2 it appears very non-intuitive to me; what if there is only small of water in it.
Physics is an experimental science. I highly recommend that you do the experiment.
 
jbriggs444 said:
Physics is an experimental science. I highly recommend that you do the experiment.
Ok let me try this