Pressure on Piston due to Compressible flow

In summary, the conversation is about creating a mathematical model for a compressed air engine. The model involves air flowing through a pipe and into the cylinder, pushing the piston and causing it to move down. The created model is represented by the equation (P1*V1)^Y = (P2*V2)^Y, but there is confusion about whether this equation can be used as it does not include the density term. The speaker suggests that the person should be able to answer their own questions based on their level of education and knowledge in basic thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.
Chotai Nikhil
is it correct modeling mathematical model for Compressed air engine,

As here air Flowing through Pipe in Kg/s and its not a continuous flow and flow through vent into the cylinder and pushes Piston and and Piston moves down.
As I created model like this

(P1*V1)^Y = (P2*V2)^Y

So,
P2 = [(P1*V1)^Y] / [ (V1+dV)^Y ]
here i m in Confusion can i use this equation for my case because this does not includes density term
or Please guide more what equation i can use here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand . You claim to have or be studying for a masters degree in 'Mechanical' . You should be able to answer your own questions easily using what you have learned in basic thermodynamics and fluid mechanics courses ?

Last edited:

What is compressible flow?

Compressible flow refers to the flow of a fluid, such as gas or air, in which the density changes significantly along its path due to changes in pressure, temperature, or velocity.

How does compressible flow affect pressure on a piston?

Compressible flow can cause changes in pressure on a piston because as the fluid flows through a smaller area, such as a nozzle or valve, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases. This decrease in pressure can result in a decrease in the force acting on the piston.

What factors influence the pressure on a piston due to compressible flow?

The pressure on a piston due to compressible flow is influenced by factors such as the fluid's velocity, density, temperature, and the geometry of the flow path. Additionally, the type of fluid and its compressibility properties can also impact the pressure on a piston.

How can the pressure on a piston due to compressible flow be calculated?

The pressure on a piston due to compressible flow can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the fluid's velocity, density, and pressure at two different points in the flow path. Other methods, such as the continuity equation and the conservation of momentum, can also be used to calculate the pressure on a piston.

What are some applications of compressible flow and its effects on pressure on pistons?

Compressible flow and its effects on pressure on pistons are important in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and power generation. These principles are used in the design of engines, turbines, and other machinery that involve the flow of compressible fluids.