Pressure rise in a vaccum system gas specific?

In summary, when introducing a gas at a known rate into a closed vacuum system, there will be a subsequent pressure rise over time. This pressure rise is not necessarily dependent on the gas species, as the average molecular mass of different gases can affect the increase in pressure. When calibrating flow controllers, it is important to consider the differences in gas species and their effect on pressure.
Asimonson
If I introduce a gas into closed vacuum system at a known rate let's say 10 SCCM there will be a subsequent pressure rise over time. Is that pressure rise gas species dependent. If I evacuate the system and introduce a different gas at 10 SCCM should I see the same rate of pressure rise?

Im trying to calibrate some flow controllers with respect to each other and I want to be sure my basic understanding is correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you will not necessarily see the same pressure rise. A given volume of a gas "A" does not necessarily cause the same increase in pressure as another volume of gas "B". This is because the average molecular mass of each gas species are different. This means that the average absolute momentum (ignoring vector direction) of the particles is different for a given volume and temperature across various species.

1. What is pressure rise in a vacuum system?

The pressure rise in a vacuum system refers to the increase in pressure within a closed system that is designed to operate at a lower pressure than the surrounding environment. This can occur due to a variety of factors, such as gas leaks, temperature changes, or chemical reactions.

2. How does pressure rise affect the performance of a vacuum system?

A pressure rise can negatively impact the performance of a vacuum system by reducing its ability to maintain a low pressure. This can result in slower or incomplete evacuation of gases from the system, leading to longer processing times or compromised product quality.

3. What causes pressure rise in a vacuum system?

Pressure rise in a vacuum system can be caused by a variety of factors, including gas leaks, temperature changes, contamination, or chemical reactions. It is important to regularly check and maintain the system to prevent these issues.

4. Can pressure rise lead to system failure?

Yes, if not addressed, pressure rise can eventually lead to system failure. As the pressure increases, the system may become unable to maintain its intended vacuum level, or it may become damaged from the increased stress. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help prevent system failure due to pressure rise.

5. How can pressure rise in a vacuum system be prevented?

To prevent pressure rise in a vacuum system, it is important to regularly check for and repair any leaks, maintain proper temperature control, and regularly clean and maintain the system. Additionally, using high-quality components and following proper operating procedures can help prevent pressure rise and ensure optimal performance.