1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure at different points in vacuum system

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I have a vacuum chamber which is consistently pumped out by a mechanical pump at the downstream end and is fed nitrogen at the upstream end. The path of the nitrogen is as follows: A mass flow controller regulates 150 SCCM flowing at all times. The N2 flows through several feet of 1/4 inch tube. The N2 then enters the reactor which is a 2.75 inch tube. The pressure is read by a gauge in the 2.75 inch tube. The N2 then flows to the pump.

Like this:

MFC (150 SCCM) --> 1/4" tube --> 2.75" tube (w/ pressure gauge) --> pump

My question is, lets say the pressure is read to be 1 torr in the 2.75 inch tube, is the pressure the same in the 1/4 inch tube? I am familiar with the bernoulli equation but unsure if that applies here,

Thanks for any feedback!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It applies here, and you can use it to calculate the pressure.

4. Oct 22, 2015 #3
    Don't I need to know the velocity of the gas inside the two tubes in order to do the calculation? All I know is 150 SCCM of N2 are being fed into the 1/4" tube

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Yes...so you have the volumetric flow rate (standard and pressure) and pipe size...

The main x-factor I see is if the velocity is high enough, there may be losses.

6. Oct 22, 2015 #5

Daz

Gold Member

Hi. If you're reading 1 torr in the main tube, that's awfully close to the Knudsen regime. It might already be Knudsen flow - probably you should check.

If it is in the Knudsen regime Bernoulli's equation is no longer applicable and you should use Knudsen's equation, instead.

7. Oct 22, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

You also need the temperature to convert volumetric flow rate to flow velocity, but that should not be a major problem.

Mean free path length should be of the order of 50 micrometers in the bigger tube. Didn't calculate it for the smaller tube.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook