1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure, volume, and temperature!

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the ratio of the volume occupied by 300C steam at 1.0 atm pressure to the volume occupied by an equal mass of liquid water?

2. Relevant equations

P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 ??

3. The attempt at a solution

not sure where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Can you look up the density of steam at that temperature and pressure?
    I think the Handbook of Chemistry has such a table. Or try Wikipedia.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no, Delphi, that is not in the spirit of Physics. What are you, an engineer? ;-)

Actually, you want to look at the density of water. Fairly easy. From water's density, determine the volume of a given mass.

Depending on the level of your physics class, you might be able to treat steam as an ideal gas. If so, use the ideal gas law to determine the volume of the steam.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Oh, no! I don't know if I would trust water to be an ideal gas, though. Maybe we need a chemist!

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In freshman physics books there are dozens of questions which tell you to "treat the [whatever] as an ideal gas." In advanced thermodynamics, you need to add the specific qualifying ratios, but this didn't sound like an advanced level question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook