1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primes and Associates in Rings

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a, b be members of a commutative ring with identity R. If a is a a prime and a, b are associates then b is also prime. True/False

2. Relevant equations
    Definitions: a is prime if a|xy implies a|x or a|y
    a and b are associates if there exists a unit u s.t a=bu

3. The attempt at a solution
    First off I'm not sure whether its even true or not; so I've tried to both prove it and find a counter example:
    Attempt at a proof:
    let b|xy.
    Then if b = au for some unit u, au|xy, that is for some k in R auk = xy.
    so ak divides xy(u^(-1))
    but k does not necessarily have an inverse so this doesn't really get me anywhere.

I've shown in an earlier question that if a is irreducible and a, b are associates then b is irreducible. Prime implies irreducible but not vice versa so if there is a counter example it will depend on an element of R that is irreducible but not prime. I know examples of these can be found in rings such as Z(5i) (the set of numbers a+5bi for a, b in Z). But I don't know how to find units of this ring.
    Consider (a+5bi)(c+5di) = 1.
    This gives the simultaneous equations 1+25bd-ac = 0 = ad+bc
    But so far I have not managed to find any integer solutions (and to be honest I don't know any way of doing this other than trial and error).

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so stop here. We know that auk=xy. So this implies that [itex]ak=u^{-1}xy[/itex]. Thus a divides [itex]u^{-1}xy[/itex]. Now use that a is prime.

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    Thank you! Done it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook