Principal of Superposition + Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Compatibility Equation and the Principal of Superposition to find the reaction force at C in a given experiment. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem and is seeking tips and guidance. Another person suggests looking into the force method, which can be found in the Math & Science Tutorials section. The person asking for help expresses gratitude and asks for more information about the force method.
peacex

Homework Statement

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4712/abcww1.jpg

Homework Equations

Using Compatibility Equation & Prinicipal of Superpositon to find Reaction force at C.
Using Principal of Superposition and Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem, to find out Reaction force at C. State experiment procedures.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there are 3 unknown forces Ra,Rb and Rc. and only 2 equilibirum equations of Rotational and Vertical/Horizontal. But I've no idea how to attempt to find the compatibility equation, any tips? I know that principal of superpostion means that when u clamp 1 side and put 2 different forces with 2 different deflections, u add them up and that is the defelection for the force added from the 2 difference forces. But how am i suppose to find the reaction force at C when the sides are not even clamped?

Help help help! i really don't know where to start with and how to solve this problem. any tips will be greatly appreicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the force method? There is a tutorial on it in the Math & Science Tutorials section.

radou said:
Are you familiar with the force method? There is a tutorial on it in the Math & Science Tutorials section.

thanks for replying. may i know where is the tutorial? i can't seem to find it. Do you mind eleborating on the force method? Thanks =)

What is the Principle of Superposition?

The Principle of Superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point in space, the resulting displacement is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of each wave. In other words, the waves do not interfere with each other, but rather their effects are simply added together.

What is the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem?

The Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that states that the ratio of the electric and magnetic fields at a given point in space is equal to the ratio of the magnetic and electric fields at the same point, but with the sources and observers interchanged. This theorem is used to simplify calculations in electromagnetism and to understand the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

How are the Principle of Superposition and the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem related?

The Principle of Superposition and the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem are both fundamental principles in physics that describe the behavior of waves. The Principle of Superposition applies specifically to the behavior of multiple waves at a single point, while the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem applies to the relationship between electric and magnetic fields at a single point. However, both principles rely on the concept of the superposition of waves and are essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

What are some practical applications of the Principle of Superposition and the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem?

The Principle of Superposition and the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem have numerous practical applications in various fields. For example, they are used in the study of electromagnetic waves and the design of antennas and other communication devices. They are also important in understanding the behavior of sound waves and seismic waves, which are used in geophysical exploration. Additionally, these principles are essential in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electrical engineering.

Are there any limitations to the Principle of Superposition and the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem?

While the Principle of Superposition and the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem are powerful tools for understanding the behavior of waves, they do have some limitations. For example, the Principle of Superposition assumes that the waves do not interact with each other, which is not always the case. In addition, the Maxwell Reciprocal Theorem is only applicable in linear systems where the electric and magnetic fields are proportional to the sources and observers. Non-linear systems may require more complex mathematical models to accurately describe their behavior.