Principia confusing sentence. Please make is simpler

• Thread starter sabanation12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation discusses a confusing passage about weights and torque in a physics textbook. The main point is that weights p and A have equal effects on moving a wheel when their distances from the center and from each other are taken into account. The conversation also suggests finding a different textbook for better understanding.
sabanation12
Can someone please help me understand what this means?:

"And therefore if weight 'p' is to weight 'A' in a ratio compounded of the reciprocal ratio of the least distances of the chords PN, AM, from the center of the wheel, and of the direct ratio of pH to pN, the weights will have the same effect towards moving the wheel and will therefore sustain each other."

I am totally confused.

Tell me if this is insufficient to answer my question.

Thanks for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like he's just talking about torques.

People have to see the diagram to follow what's being said, but it actually very trivial. Look at the diagram when he says "a ratio compounded of the reciprocal ratio of the least distances of the chords". Old English sucks but the ratio is the weights p and A. The "chords" are the distances from pivot point at O. "Compounded of the reciprocal ratio" refers to the effects the chord lengths has on the weights relative torque.

It's really a mess but if you look at the picture and understand that O is a pivot point with weights hanging from the chords at some distance, and understand the forces it entails at various points, then it's obvious a lot of words was thrown at very little.

Ok, thanks guys. Even if I don't understand every last detail, I understand the broad idea of what he is talking about

People still read the Principia?

Well still better than reading the bible :)

sabanation12 said:
Ok, thanks guys. Even if I don't understand every last detail, I understand the broad idea of what he is talking about

It sounds as though this was your first choice for a physics textbook, while this isn't why you made the thread I would suggest that you find something else. There are many books that will give you more information more clearly.

1. What is "Principia"?

"Principia" refers to a book written by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687, which explains the laws of motion and the theory of gravity.

2. Why is the sentence confusing?

The sentence may be confusing because it uses complex language and concepts, making it difficult for non-scientists to understand.

3. Can you simplify the sentence?

Yes, the sentence can be simplified by breaking it down into smaller, more understandable parts and using simpler language.

4. What is the main idea of the sentence?

The main idea of the sentence is to explain the laws of motion and the theory of gravity, which are described in the book "Principia" by Sir Isaac Newton.

5. Is it important to understand this sentence?

It depends on your level of interest in science and understanding of complex concepts. However, understanding this sentence can help you better understand the laws of motion and the theory of gravity, which are fundamental concepts in physics.