1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle of Work and Energy: Spring and Mass

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When the 65-kg cylinder is released from rest, the spring is subjected to a tension of 75. Determine the speed of the cylinder after it has fallen 300. How far has it fallen when it momentarily stops?

Given Diagram:
    Prob.14-93.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started with a displacement equation. When the mass has fallen 300 mm (or 0.3 m), the string should stretch 0.6 m. I think that i can use F = kx, where F = T. So then the spring is already stretched by 0.25 m. From the free body diagram of the cylinder, i know that there will be potential gravitational energy, and a tension force acting in the opposite direction. Heres my long shot, but can i make the tension be represented by the potential energy of the spring (Vs = 0.5ks2). Then i get a little lost in whether or not i can do that.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi PeterP,

you are on the right track, go ahead.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook