Probabilities & Observed Reality

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimental set-up involving cameras behind a double-slit screen to determine which slit a particle passes through. The person plans to randomly choose which camera to look at, with 50% of particles passing through each slit. The question is raised about what would happen if the person opened the wrong shutter, and if this would still result in 50% of particles passing through each slit.
StevieTNZ
Hi there,

I'm thinking of an experimental set-up that incorporates cameras behind a double-slit screen. The cameras will take a picture if a particle goes through the applicable slit. For me to know which slit it goes through, I need to check the camera to see if its taken a picture.
For simplicity:
Slit 1 = Camera 1
Slit 2 = Camera 2

Each time a particle is emitted from the source towards the final screen, I will look at only one camera, choosing which one randomly (1/2 the time camera 1 and 1/2 the time camera 2). I emit many particles, enough to satisfy the statistics that 50% go through slit 1 and 50% go through slit 2.

How many times will I see the particle goes through slit 1 by looking at camera 1?
I know in the ideal measurement in a quantum eraser experiment (that of Scully's), 50% of those going through slit 1 are detected if we open the top shutter, and 50% going through slit 2 by opening the top shutter as well.
But what if I decided to open the buttom shutter when I could have opened the top? And the top when I could open the bottom? Would I still find 50% going through slit 1 if I still open the top shutter half the time overall?

Physics news on Phys.org
@StevieTNZ did you find any more insight on this topic?

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

What is the difference between theoretical and empirical probabilities?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Empirical probability, on the other hand, is based on actual observations and data collected from experiments or real-life events.

What is the relationship between probability and observed reality?

Probability helps us make predictions about the likelihood of an event occurring in the real world. It does not guarantee that the predicted outcome will happen, but it provides us with a measure of confidence in our predictions.

How do probabilities impact decision-making?

Probabilities can be used to make informed decisions by considering the likelihood of different outcomes. They can also be used to evaluate the potential risks and benefits of different choices.