Probability and binomial distribution question

In summary, the conversation involved a question on a test that required finding the probability of X based on a binomial distribution with n=10 and p=.2. For part a, P(X>=3) was calculated as 1-P(X<=2). For part b, the formula used was \sum_{x=0}^3 perm(n, x)*p^x*(1-p)^(n-x), which resulted in an answer greater than 1 due to a mistake in the calculation. The mistake was later realized and corrected.
NINHARDCOREFAN
There was a question on the test with the following information (binomial distribution)

n=10
p=.2

Find the probability that X is :
a. At least 3
b. At most 3

For part a I did P(X>=3)=1-P(X<=2)

For part b I did P(X<=3) :
[itex] \sum_{x=0}^3 perm(n, x)*p^x*(1-p)^(n-x)[/itex]

The last part is (1-p)^(n-x)
For part b, I got an answer that is greater than 1, what did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using "perm?"

Disregard. How do you delete your posts? I pressed the delete button once I go to edit, but that doesn't do it...

Anyways, I got an answer of .7717.

Last edited:
Perm meaning permutation. That's the formula for binomial distribution. Ksinclair, should I disregard your answer?

Probably :P

I know that moderators can delete posts, but I thought that you could also delete them yourself, or else my post wouldn't even be up there right now.

If perm (n, x) means n!/(x!(n-x)!), then my answer should be correct ;).

Last edited:
Wow, this sucks. I wrote it out right on the paper but when I kept calculating I kept switching the x and n-x place so i had a greater answer. I can't believe this, I calculated it like 5 times on the test and still didn't realize the mistake!

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a certain event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

What is binomial distribution?

Binomial distribution is a mathematical model that describes the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes and the probability of success remains constant.

How do you calculate the probability of a specific outcome in a binomial distribution?

The probability of a specific outcome in a binomial distribution can be calculated using the formula P(x) = nCx * p^x * q^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, p is the probability of success, and q is the probability of failure (1-p).

What is the difference between probability and binomial distribution?

Probability is a general concept that can be applied to any situation where there are uncertain outcomes. Binomial distribution, on the other hand, is a specific mathematical model used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of trials with only two possible outcomes.

What are some real-life examples of binomial distribution?

Some real-life examples of binomial distribution include coin tosses, where the two possible outcomes are heads or tails, and medical trials, where the two possible outcomes are success or failure of a treatment. It can also be applied to survey results, where the two possible outcomes are yes or no responses.