Probability question: picking colored marbles out of a bag

In summary: Edited.In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving 5 marbles in a bag, with 4 being blue and 1 being red. The question asked for the probability of picking a blue marble, and the solution is expressed as 4/5 or 80%. However, it is important to note that probabilities are numbers between 0 and 1, so the correct way to write it is as 4/5 or 0.8.
Rubies
Homework Statement
there are 5 marbles in a bag: 4 are blue, and 1 is red. What is the probability that a blue marble gets picked?
Relevant Equations
there are 5 marbles in a bag: 4 are blue, and 1 is red.
Solution there are 5 in total 4 are Blue so 4/5 or80%
Is it right?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is correct.

Likes Rubies
Except you should express it as ##\frac 4 5 = .8##, not ##80##% as probabilities are ##0\le p \le 1##.

Rubies said:
Problem Statement: there are 5 marbles in a bag: 4 are blue, and 1 is red. What is the probability that a blue marble gets picked?
Relevant Equations: .

there are 5 marbles in a bag: 4 are blue, and 1 is red.
Solution there are 5 in total 4 are Blue so 4/5 or80%
Is it right?
thanks
Hello Rubies .
:welcome:

LCKurtz said:
Except you should express it as ##\frac 4 5 = .8##, not ##80##% as probabilities are ##0\le p \le 1##.

80% = 80/100 = 4/5, not entirely sure what you are debating here.

Likes PeroK
Math_QED said:
80% = 80/100 = 4/5, not entirely sure what you are debating here.
He's saying that the question asked for a probability, which is a number in the interval [0, 1].

Mark44 said:
He's saying that the question asked for a probability, which is a number in the interval [0, 1].

And 80% is just a convenient way to say ##80/100##, which is such a number. It really doesn't matter.

Likes PeroK
Math_QED said:
And 80% is just a convenient way to say ##80/100##, which is such a number. It really doesn't matter.
In the big scheme of things, you're right. It doesn't matter. The OP clearly understands how to do the problem. But this is a math forum and, in mathematical thought, precision matters. If that had been a 10 point problem on a test, I would have awarded 9 points. 80 is not a number on [0,1].

LCKurtz said:
In the big scheme of things, you're right. It doesn't matter. The OP clearly understands how to do the problem. But this is a math forum and, in mathematical thought, precision matters. If that had been a 10 point problem on a test, I would have awarded 9 points. 80 is not a number on [0,1].

But the OP said ##80##%, which is not 80, but ##80/100 \in [0,1]##. I would give the OP full marks if this was a test question. I think substracting points for things like that is the reason that people will get to hate math.

C'mon guys. We know the point of view of each of you.

• Informative
Likes member 587159
Math_QED said:
But the OP said ##80%##
I can see that you wrote 80%, but when your LaTeX gets rendered, it eats the % character.

Likes member 587159
Mark44 said:
I can see that you wrote 80%, but when your LaTeX gets rendered, it eats the % character.

Edited.

1. What is the probability of picking a specific color marble out of a bag?

The probability of picking a specific color marble out of a bag depends on the total number of marbles in the bag and the number of marbles of that specific color. To calculate the probability, divide the number of marbles of the specific color by the total number of marbles in the bag.

2. If I pick two marbles out of a bag without replacement, what is the probability of getting two of the same color?

The probability of getting two of the same color when picking two marbles out of a bag without replacement can be calculated by multiplying the probability of picking the first marble of that color by the probability of picking the second marble of the same color. This is known as the multiplication rule for independent events.

3. How does the probability change if I pick marbles with replacement instead of without replacement?

The probability of picking a specific color marble out of a bag with replacement remains the same for each pick, as the number of marbles and the number of marbles of that specific color do not change. However, the probability of picking two of the same color when picking with replacement will be different, as the probability for each pick is independent.

4. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations. It may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

5. How can probability be used in real-world applications?

Probability is used in various fields, such as finance, insurance, and science, to make predictions and informed decisions. For example, it can be used to calculate the likelihood of an event occurring, such as the probability of a stock market crash or the probability of a disease outbreak. It can also be used to determine the risk associated with certain actions or decisions.