1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability (balls in a bucket)

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    Q: 2 blue balls and 1 white ball are in a bucket. You draw one ball at a time, record the color of the ball and put it back to the bucket until you get at least 2 blue balls and 2 white balls. Let X be the number of blue balls you drew, Y be the number of white balls you drew, Z be the number of balls you drew. What is the probability mass functions of X,Y, and Z? (i.e. give the probabilities of all the possible outcomes for X,Y,Z, respectively)

I understand the question, but don't understand the solution. Can someone please explain/help me out?

Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying you don't understand a given answer? Or are you saying you don't "see" the solution?

What is the prob. z = 1? (It's zero. Why?)
    What's the prob z < 4? (Again 0.)
    Prob{z=4} = number of ways 2B+2W balls can be obtained/number of all color combinations in 4 draws
  4. Dec 16, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just work on it systematically. First of all, you know what a pmf is:

pX(x) = P(X = x)

-- pY(y) and pZ(z) are defined similarly.

Now, if X is the number of blue balls drawn, we know that X must be *at least* 2, because we're not going to *stop* drawing balls out until we get two blue ones. Therefore:

pX(x) = 0 for x < 2
    likewise for pY(y)

similarly, pZ(z) must be zero for z < 4, because that's the minimum number of draws required to get 2 blue and 2 white. So, that's a start...
  5. Dec 16, 2007 #4
    I don't understand a given answer...

According to the solutions:

P(X=2)=(3C1) (2/3)2 (1/3)2 + (2C1) (2/3) (1/3)2 + (1/3)2
    P(X=3)=(4C1) (2/3)2 (1/3)2

P(Z=4)=(4C3) (2/3)2 (1/3)2

But I don't get it...can someone please explain? :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?