1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability density function, cumulative function.

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Random voltage is defined with its probability density function:
    [tex] p_{\xi}(v)=2,25u(v+2)e^{-3(v+2)}+k\delta (v-2) [/tex]

u-Heaviside step function

a) Find constant k.
    b) What is the probability of a random variable to take value of 2.
    c) Find the cumulative distribution function.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}p_{\xi}(x)dx=1[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I got that the constant k is 0,25. (if somebody would check that for me)

Now for the b), I am not sure. I know that when you have continuous distribution, probability that the function has 1 specific value is 0.

But this delta function at that point is confusing me. Does it change things? Should the probability be 0.25?

And I have troubles finding cumulative distribution. Help me out here.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is an example of a "mixed" random variable that has both a continuous and discrete component. Other (perhaps more familiar) examples are lifetime distributions of products, which may have a nonzero probability at lifetime = 0, because the product may be non-functional right out of the box, but if it is functional when new, then its remaining life has a continuous distribution. Anyway, that is the role of the delta function: it describes a point-mass for probability at v = 2. (Are you sure you should have delta(v-2) rather than delta(v+2)? It seems strange to have a point mass in the middle of a continuous part.)

So, in your case, Pr{V = 2} = k, which is not zero.

The cumulative distribution is just F(x) = Pr(V <= x} = integral(p(v), v = -infinity..x), which ought to be easy for you to do. In this case F(x) is not continuous at x = 2; maybe that is what was confusing you.

RGV

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your reply. Im sure that the δ is at 2. We usually have that, unusual things :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook