1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability distribution curve for an electron in 2s and 2p

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    hi, so my lecturer decides to give me manic depression by sending me on a wild goose chase. what is the general form of a plot of Ψ, Ψr2 and r2Ψ versus r for both Ψ2s and Ψ2p orbital... am not even sure i said it right

So far I have only gotten the Ψ2r2 versus r

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you only specify the principal and angular momentum quantum numbers (e.g. 2s and 2p), are you asked only to plot the radial functions?

Ups, I failed to notice that this thread was posted under Homework section. By the way, if you really think that your thread should indeed be made in Homework subforum, please follow the post template which you are given right off from the start.

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3
    Yes..... and yes....thanks for the head start though :smile:

5. Apr 7, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I guess your lecturer actually asked you to find the plot of those functions, which is easy to accomplish in the current era of internet. :wink:

6. Apr 7, 2016 #5
    Yes it is.... i guess I didn't explain the problem completely.... it is a plot of the function that am looking for

However you would be surprised how difficult it is to actually find it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. A needle that my baby brother promised is in there

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted