Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial Probability Distribution Curve for Hydrogen Atom

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to plot the radial probability function for a hydrogen atom.

I have the function itself (Psi2*4*pi*r2) my problem is that when I plot the function with angstroms on the x-axis, the y-values are larger than they should be (they look about right if I divide them by the bohr radius in angstroms).

Here's what it should look like when plotted:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ntum/hydr.html [Broken]

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2
    Your link doesn't work, but I suspect that your problem is units. The normalization of the radial wave function is determined by

[tex]\int dr 4 \pi r^2 |\psi(r)|^2 = 1[/tex]

As a consequence (4 pi r^2 psi(r)) has units of 1/(length) so that the whole expression comes out unitless. So the scale of your y axis depends on the units you choose for it.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    Can the normalized radial distribution function Rho(r) be applied, as if it were a classical statistical distribution?

For example:
    1. Multiply Rho(r) by an arbitrary function of r, say f(r), and integrate from 0 to inf to obtain the average < f >.
    2. Derive a cumulative probability P(t) by integrating Rho(r) from 0 to t.
    3. Make a coordinate transformation r -> y, in order to obtain a new probability density Rho(y) in the variable y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook