Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability (electric circuit) - need confirmation of my solution

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Electric circuit (as shown in the picture), is made from five elements. Failures of elements are independent, with probabilites: [tex]A_1-0.6[/tex], [tex]B_1-0.4[/tex], [tex]B_2-0.7[/tex], [tex]B_3-0.9[/tex] and [tex]A_2-0.5[/tex]. Find the probabilty of current break, between [tex]M[/tex] and [tex]N[/tex].
    attachment.php?attachmentid=26624&stc=1&d=1277294014.gif

2. Relevant equations
    For independent events:

[tex]P(A\cap B] = P(A)\cdot P(B)[/tex]
    [tex]P(A\cup B] = P(A) + P(B) - P(A)\cdot P(B)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Current will be break, when any of the [tex]A[/tex] element fail, or if all of the [tex]B[/tex] elements fail. So probabilty of the current break is: [tex]A_1 \cap\left[B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3\right]\cap A_2[/tex].

So:

[tex]B = B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3 = B_1\cdot B_2\cdot B_3[/tex]

And, finaly, probability is:

[tex]A_1 \cap\left[B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3\right]\cap A_2 = A_1 \cap B\cap A_2 = A_1 + A_2 + B - A_1\cdot B - A_1\cdot A_2 - A_2\cdot B + A_1\cdot A_2 \cdot B[/tex].

Is that correct ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2
    That's not correct.

First, give me the correct information. When the current will break?

I ask you this because you said that ALL of B need to fail, and then you write B1 U B2 U B3.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    I see....so, formula must be:

[tex] A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2[/tex]

instead of

[tex] A_1\cap \left[ B_1\cup B_2 \cup B_3 \right] \cap A_2[/tex] ?

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4
    Yes, that's true.

Now try again, and use [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't you mean [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]
    ?
    I think you just grabbed the wrong tex expression.

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    Yes, that's right. Thanks for the correction. I replaced \cup with \cap and vice versa.

8. Jun 23, 2010 #7
    Thank you both, Njama & Mark44.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook