1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability (electric circuit) - need confirmation of my solution

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Electric circuit (as shown in the picture), is made from five elements. Failures of elements are independent, with probabilites: [tex]A_1-0.6[/tex], [tex]B_1-0.4[/tex], [tex]B_2-0.7[/tex], [tex]B_3-0.9[/tex] and [tex]A_2-0.5[/tex]. Find the probabilty of current break, between [tex]M[/tex] and [tex]N[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    For independent events:

[tex]P(A\cap B] = P(A)\cdot P(B)[/tex]
    [tex]P(A\cup B] = P(A) + P(B) - P(A)\cdot P(B)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Current will be break, when any of the [tex]A[/tex] element fail, or if all of the [tex]B[/tex] elements fail. So probabilty of the current break is: [tex]A_1 \cap\left[B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3\right]\cap A_2[/tex].

[tex]B = B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3 = B_1\cdot B_2\cdot B_3[/tex]

And, finaly, probability is:

[tex]A_1 \cap\left[B_1\cup B_2\cup B_3\right]\cap A_2 = A_1 \cap B\cap A_2 = A_1 + A_2 + B - A_1\cdot B - A_1\cdot A_2 - A_2\cdot B + A_1\cdot A_2 \cdot B[/tex].

Is that correct ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2
    That's not correct.

First, give me the correct information. When the current will break?

I ask you this because you said that ALL of B need to fail, and then you write B1 U B2 U B3.
  4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    I see....so, formula must be:

[tex] A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2[/tex]

instead of

[tex] A_1\cap \left[ B_1\cup B_2 \cup B_3 \right] \cap A_2[/tex] ?
  5. Jun 23, 2010 #4
    Yes, that's true.

Now try again, and use [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

Don't you mean [tex]P(A_1\cup \left[ B_1\cap B_2 \cap B_3 \right] \cup A_2)[/tex]
    I think you just grabbed the wrong tex expression.
  7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    Yes, that's right. Thanks for the correction. I replaced \cup with \cap and vice versa.
  8. Jun 23, 2010 #7
    Thank you both, Njama & Mark44.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook