Probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6

In summary, the probability of rolling a sum divisible by 6 when rolling 20 dice is 1/6, as shown by the Markov chain and the law of total probability. The shortcut is to realize that the probabilities of getting sums divisible by 6 with 1 die, 2 dice, 3 dice, 4 dice, or 5 dice all add up to 1, making the probability of getting a sum divisible by 6 with 20 dice also 1/6.
Gregg

Homework Statement

20 dice are rolled what's the probability that the sum will be divisible by 6?

Homework Equations

Law of total probability

The Attempt at a Solution

The possibilities are between 20x1 and 20x6:

In the beginning, trying to find out how many ways there are to get 24 from 20 dice makes me feel as though I can't possibly be expected to do it for all 17 totals. I have no idea how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gregg! :smile:

Well, they wouldn't ask a question as complicated as this if there wasn't a short-cut, would they? :biggrin:

Hint: try rolling 19 dice first … then what? :wink:

Let us create a Markov chain {X_n : X in N}. The Markov chain will stand for the sum of n dice modulo 6. X_0 = 0. The Markov chain then has the following transition probability matrix:

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6}\\
\frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6}\\
\frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6} & \frac{1}{6}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Hence, we have a doubly stochastic matrix whose transition probability is already the invariant probability measure. The probability must be 1/6 then.

If you have not studied Markov chains, then I recommend you ask yourself: "What is the probability of rolling a number divisible by 6 with 1 die." Then, bump it up to summing 2 dice. You should, by then, see the logic behind the probability always being 1/6 no matter how many dice you roll.

Last edited:
I can't see that! if the first 19 are divisible by 6 we require a 6 for the 20th. That's all I seem to be able to deduce - going further I bump into complications. Like considering 19 sixes, 19 fives, 19 twos etc.

Gregg said:
I can't see that! if the first 19 are divisible by 6 we require a 6 for the 20th.

and suppose the first 19 have remainder 1 on division by 6 ? :wink:

Ah... I could say that it is the same as the probability of getting divisible by 1,2,3,4 or 5, and further that the union of these is the sample space.

[tex] \text{P}(\Omega) = \sum_{k=1} ^{6} \text{ P(divisible by k)} = 6 \text{ P(divisible by 6)} = 1 [/tex]

tiny-tim said:
and suppose the first 19 have remainder 1 on division by 6 ? :wink:

OK so the first 19 have remainder 1 on division by 6. Then we require 5, remainder 2, then we require 4, remainder 3, we require 3, remainder 4, we require 2, remainder 5, we require 1?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Gregg! :smile:

Well, they wouldn't ask a question as complicated as this if there wasn't a short-cut, would they? :biggrin:

You rock buddy! I too have the same evil smile sitting in an examination hall and wondering about the short-cuts

Gregg said:
Ah... I could say that it is the same as the probability of getting divisible by 1,2,3,4 or 5,

you mean that all remainders are equally likely? true, but how do you prove that? :confused:

what is P(divisible by 6 | remainder of first 19 is 1) ?​

tiny-tim said:
you mean that all remainders are equally likely? true, but how do you prove that? :confused:

what is P(divisible by 6 | remainder of first 19 is 1) ?​

So

P(divisible by 6 | remainder of first 19 is i) = 1/6

i=1,2,3,4,5,6 ?

[tex] \text{P( div. by 6)} = \sum_{k=1}^{6} \text{P(rem. of 1st 19 is k) P(div. by 6 |rem. of 1st 19 is k)} [/tex]

[tex]\text{P(rem. of 1st 19 is k)} = 1/6[/tex]
[tex] \text{P(div. by 6 |rem. of 1st 19 is k)}[/tex]

Which gives 1/6. If I could show that the [tex]\text{P(rem. of 1st 19 is k)} = 1/6 [/tex]

Gregg said:
Which gives 1/6. If I could show that the [tex]\text{P(rem. of 1st 19 is k)} = 1/6 [/tex]

You don't need to!

Write out the whole P(A) = ∑ P(A|B)P(B) formula …

what do you notice? :wink:

P(A|Bk) is constant = 1/6

Bkis a partition of the sample space so the sum adds to unity

P(A) = ∑P(A|Bk) P(Bk)

P(A) =P(A|Bk) ∑P(Bk)

P(A) = 1/6

That's right! :smile:

(But clearer would be

P(A) = ∑P(A|Bk) P(Bk)

= ∑ (1/6) P(Bk)

= 1/6 :wink:)

Thanks. very helpful - with stuff like this I never ever manage to catch the easy way of doing it

What is the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6?

The probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6 is approximately 0.015625, or 1.5625%. This means that out of all the possible combinations of rolling 20 dice, only about 1.5625% of them will result in a total that is divisible by 6.

How did you calculate the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6?

To calculate the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6, we first need to determine the total number of possible outcomes when rolling 20 dice. This can be calculated by taking 6 raised to the power of 20, which equals 3.656 x 10^17. Then, we need to find the number of outcomes that result in a total divisible by 6. This can be calculated by finding the number of multiples of 6 between 20 and 120 (the possible range of totals when rolling 20 dice). There are 17 multiples of 6 in this range, so the probability is 17/3.656 x 10^17, which is approximately 0.015625.

Is the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6 affected by the order of the dice?

No, the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6 is not affected by the order of the dice. As long as the total is divisible by 6, it does not matter in what order the dice were rolled.

Can the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6 be increased or decreased?

No, the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6 cannot be increased or decreased. It is a fixed probability based on the total number of possible outcomes and the number of outcomes that result in a total divisible by 6. The only way to change the probability is by changing the number of dice being rolled.

What other factors can affect the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6?

The only factors that can affect the probability of 20 dice being divisible by 6 are the number of dice being rolled and the number of sides on each die. The probability may also be affected by any external factors that could influence the roll of the dice, such as the shape or weight of the dice or the surface they are being rolled on.