Probability of a point in a square being 0.5 from perimeter

In summary: Your sketch shows point "y" at one extreme, however, it can be anywhere from the corner to halfway "up."
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Consider a square of side length 1. Two points are chosen independently at random such that one is on the perimeter while the other is inside the square. Find the probability that the straight-line distance between the two points is at most 0.5.

2. The attempt at a solution
I assumed that I can just treat the point on the perimeter as if it's chosen at random along half of 1 side (from a corner to a midpoint) because no matter where the random point on the perimeter is chosen, the square can be reoriented (in our imagination) so that it lies on the same line segment (from a corner to the midpoint of a side). I feel I am justified in doing this because reorienting the square should not change the randomness of the point inside the square (because the point in the square is independently random, and also because all possible ways to reorient the square should be equally likely). Is this where I went wrong?

Let me proceed with this assumption.
Call the distance from the corner y. From the above assumption, y ranges from [0, 0.5]
Take a look at my drawing of the situation:

probability.png

I think dy/0.5 = 2dy would be the chance of the random point "being" y (or being within dy of y, or however you should think of it)

So I think the solution to the problem should be [itex]\int\limits_0^{0.5} 2A(y)dy[/itex]

And finally, [itex]A(y)=\int\limits_0^{y+0.5} \sqrt{0.25-(y-x)^2}dx[/itex]This gives me an answer of π/8-1/12 ≈ 0.31 which seems reasonable, but is apparently
incorrect.

(It seems reasonable because at most A(y)=A(1/2)=pi/8≈0.4 and at least A(y)=A(0)=pi/16≈0.2 so the answer should be somewhere between 0.2 and 0.4)

I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:
at most 0.5.
Your sketch shows point "y" at one extreme, however, it can be anywhere from the corner to halfway "up." My take, I guarantee nothing.

What is the probability that a point would fall into the quarter circle if the point on the perimeter were at the corner?
You seem to have worked out the half-circle problem for when the point falls in the middle.
The relative probability will be ##\int \int d(x,y) p(x) dx dy ##

Nathanael said:

Homework Statement

Consider a square of side length 1. Two points are chosen independently at random such that one is on the perimeter while the other is inside the square. Find the probability that the straight-line distance between the two points is at most 0.5.

2. The attempt at a solution
I assumed that I can just treat the point on the perimeter as if it's chosen at random along half of 1 side (from a corner to a midpoint) because no matter where the random point on the perimeter is chosen, the square can be reoriented (in our imagination) so that it lies on the same line segment (from a corner to the midpoint of a side). I feel I am justified in doing this because reorienting the square should not change the randomness of the point inside the square (because the point in the square is independently random, and also because all possible ways to reorient the square should be equally likely). Is this where I went wrong?

Let me proceed with this assumption.
Call the distance from the corner y. From the above assumption, y ranges from [0, 0.5]
Take a look at my drawing of the situation:

View attachment 78854

I think dy/0.5 = 2dy would be the chance of the random point "being" y (or being within dy of y, or however you should think of it)

So I think the solution to the problem should be [itex]\int\limits_0^{0.5} 2A(y)dy[/itex]

And finally, [itex]A(y)=\int\limits_0^{y+0.5} \sqrt{0.25-(y-x)^2}dx[/itex]This gives me an answer of π/8-1/12 ≈ 0.31 which seems reasonable, but is apparently
incorrect.

(It seems reasonable because at most A(y)=A(1/2)=pi/8≈0.4 and at least A(y)=A(0)=pi/16≈0.2 so the answer should be somewhere between 0.2 and 0.4)

I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I get your answer as well; why do you think it is wrong?

Likes Nathanael
Hello Nate/Richard :)

Did what you did, found what you found ##{\pi\over 8} - {1\over 12}##.

Corroborated with a rude numerical simulation (16000 x 3 excel numbers :) , 12 times; found 0.30905 +/- 0.00071)

So here's a second one who agrees with you.
What tells you it's wrong ?

Likes Nathanael
Oh, wow... The problem asked, what is the probability that the distance will be at least 0.5... o:) arghuhghgrumbles... 13/12 - pi/8

I am very sorry for wasting all your time!

Nathanael said:
Oh, wow... The problem asked, what is the probability that the distance will be at least 0.5... o:) arghuhghgrumbles... 13/12 - pi/8

I am very sorry for wasting all your time!

No time wasted at all. Computing 1 - P(d < .05) is by far the easiest way to compute P(d >= 0.5). This is clear at once if you refer back to your diagram.

Second Ray. And it was an interesting exercise ! So thumbs up ! :)

1. What does it mean for a point in a square to have a probability of 0.5 from the perimeter?

This means that there is an equal chance for the point to be located at any distance from the perimeter of the square. In other words, the point is equally likely to be close to the edges as it is to be close to the center of the square.

2. How is the probability of a point being 0.5 from the perimeter calculated?

The probability is calculated by dividing the length of the perimeter of the square by the total area of the square. This gives the probability of randomly selecting a point that is 0.5 units away from the perimeter.

3. Can the probability of a point being 0.5 from the perimeter change?

No, the probability will always be 0.5 as long as the square remains the same size and shape. This is because the perimeter and area of the square will always maintain the same ratio, resulting in a probability of 0.5.

4. How does the size of the square affect the probability of a point being 0.5 from the perimeter?

The size of the square has no effect on the probability. As long as the square maintains the same shape, the probability will always be 0.5 regardless of the size of the square.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the probability of a point being 0.5 from the perimeter?

Understanding this probability can be useful in various fields such as geometry, statistics, and computer science. It can also be applied in real-life situations, such as determining the likelihood of a person being in a specific location within a given area.