1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of balls chosen from an urn

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An urn contains 3 white and 4 red balls. A ball is chosen at random ( in a frequency sense) and replaced. What is the probability of the first 5 balls chosen exactly 2 will be white.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Really I haven't made much progress. I do not understand the significance of the balls being replaced. If they weren't replaced that would make sense to me. But with them being replaced I have no idea. Thanks for any help and advice.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because they are being replaced, the chance of getting a white ball will always be 3/7.

So it's like, what is the probability that if you flip a coin 5 times you will get exactly two heads (only instead of 50/50, then chance of getting heads in 3/7).

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The significance of the balls being replaced just means every time you draw a ball you have a 3/7 chance of it's being white and 4/7 of it's being red. So what are the odds of getting 2 white and 3 red. Binomial distribution. Go for it Nietzsche!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?