1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urn problem (indisting. objects into distinguishable urns)

1. Oct 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have n balls and m urns numbered 1 to m. Each ball is placed randomly and independently into one of the urns.
    Let Xi be the number of balls in urn number i.
    So X1+....+Xm = n
    What is the distribution of each Xi?
    What is EXi and VarXi
    What is E[XiXj] given i≠j
    What is Cov(X1,Xj?

2. Relevant equations
    Cov(XY)=Exy(XY)-Ex(X)Ey(Y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I read: https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Distinguishability and identified this as the last case.
    I understand that there (n+m-1)ℂ(m-1) ways to place the balls but not how to describe this in the form of a pdf so that I can find expectation and variance and such.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Clearly, for a single urn, the distribution of the number ##X_i## in urn i is the same for any i = 1,2, ...,n, so we might as well look at urn 1. For urns i and j ≠ i the bivariate distribution of ##(X_i,X_j)## is the same for any pair i and j, so we might as well look at urns 1 and 2.

To find the marginal distribution of ##X_1##, just look at it as a problem having two urns: 1 and not-1. For each object, the probability it goes into urn 1 is 1/m, while the probability it goes into urn not-1 is (m-1)/m.

For urns 1 and 2 look at it as a three-urn problem with urns 1, 2 and not-12. For each object, p(1) = p(2) = 1/m and p(not-12) = (m-2)/m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted