Probability of being struck by lightning

In summary, as a frequent mountain climber encountering rain in 40% of treks, the best measures to prevent being struck by lightning include checking weather reports and avoiding going out during thunderstorms, staying low to the ground and avoiding single trees, finding shelter under a canopy of trees or in a car, and being aware and ready to take cover if needed. There is no equipment that can significantly reduce the danger of being struck by lightning. In states with high lightning incidence, such as Colorado, it is recommended to start climbing early and be off the mountain by noon. Ultimately, the beauty of thunderstorms should be admired from a safe distance.
dharm0us
Supposing I am a frequent mountain climber who encounters rains in 40% of the treks,
what measures could I take to prevent myself being struck by lightening? Isn't the probality
of my getting struck with the lightning just too high, assuming that most of the
mountains "do not" have a "lightening rod"?

Science news on Phys.org

dharm0us said:
Supposing I am a frequent mountain climber who encounters rains in 40% of the treks,
what measures could I take to prevent myself being struck by lightening? Isn't the probality
of my getting struck with the lightning just too high, assuming that most of the
mountains "do not" have a "lightening rod"?

Yes, this is very dangerous. Check weather reports and don't go if thunderstorms are predicted. If you get caught in one, stay low to the ground - don't be on horseback, lay flat on ground if lightning is immanently close. If (somehow :smile:) a car is reachable, get to it as safely as possible. Don't go under a single tree because that tree is a target and will offer you little protection if it is hit. However, if you can find a canopy of many trees, this is preferable to an open area. If in a forest, stay in there but stay as far away as possible from anyone tree. Lay flat on the ground and spread arms and legs out as wide as possible. Also, keep aware and be ready to run from a falling tree or branch.

Last edited:
The risk is large, if you are regularly in the outdoors during thunderstorms. The problem is that even if a lightning bolt does not pass through you directly, they produce electric currents in the ground that can be fatal up to 30 meters (100 feet) away from the strike.

There is no rubber-soled foot gear or any other personal equipment which can substantially reduce the danger in a lightning storm.

In short, there are only two things you can do to decrease your risk:

1) Follow the weather forecast and be observant of the weather, and always leave the mountain at the first sign of lightning.

2) If you are caught in a lightning storm, look for cover in a canopy of trees as suggested above, and crouch down on the balls of your feet.

Good luck safely enjoying the outdoors!

By states, Colorado has the second highest incidence of lightning (after Florida). The rule here is to start climbing early and be off the top and well down by noon.

marcusl said:
By states, Colorado has the second highest incidence of lightning (after Florida). The rule here is to start climbing early and be off the top and well down by noon.

But, aren't those thunderstorms beautiful and awesome! I saw one at Snowmass in the summer and thought I was entering the gates of heaven.

Beautiful to look at from a distance, terrifying to be outdoors in!

What is the probability of being struck by lightning?

The probability of being struck by lightning varies depending on several factors, including location, time of year, and individual behavior. On average, the chance of being struck by lightning in a lifetime is 1 in 15,300.

How does the probability of being struck by lightning differ between different locations?

The probability of being struck by lightning is higher in certain locations, such as areas with frequent thunderstorms or those with tall structures like mountains or skyscrapers. For example, in Florida, the chance of being struck by lightning is 1 in 3,000, while in California it is 1 in 1,000,000.

What are the most common lightning strike injuries?

The most common lightning strike injuries are burns, heart and nervous system damage, and hearing loss. However, it's important to note that only about 10% of lightning strike victims are killed, and the majority of survivors make a full recovery.

How can I reduce my chances of being struck by lightning?

To reduce your chances of being struck by lightning, it's important to seek shelter indoors or in a hard-topped vehicle during a thunderstorm. Avoid open fields, tall structures, and bodies of water, and stay away from metal objects like fences or poles.

What should I do if I am caught outside during a lightning storm?

If you are caught outside during a lightning storm, it's important to crouch down on the ground with your feet close together and your head tucked. This position will minimize your contact with the ground and reduce the risk of a lightning strike. Avoid seeking shelter under trees or near metal objects.