Probability of finding a particle?

In summary, the probability of finding a particle in the ground state of a rigid box between x=0 and x=\frac{L}{3} is \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{2\pi}Sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right). However, when calculating the probability at specific points such as x=1.95 and x=2.05, cos should be used instead of sin.
iafatel

Homework Statement

For a particle in the ground state of a rigid box, calculate the probability of finding it between x=0 and x=[tex]\frac{L}{3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\left|\psi^{2}\right| = \frac{2}{L}Sin^{2}\left(\frac{nx\pi}{L}dx\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^{\frac{L}{3}}_{0} Sin^{2}\left(\frac{x\pi}{L}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2}{L}\int^{\frac{L}{3}}_{0} \frac{1-Cos \left(\frac{2x\pi}{L}\right)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{L} \int^{\frac{L}{3}}_{0} 1 - \int^{0}_{\frac{L}{3}} Cos \left(\frac{2x\pi}{L}\right)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{L} \left[ \left|x\right|^{\frac{L}{3}}_{0} - \left|\frac{L}{2\pi}Sin\left(\frac{2x\pi}{L}\right)\right|^{\frac{L}{3}}_{0} [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{L} \left[ \frac{L}{3}} - \frac{L}{2\pi}Sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)\right] [/tex]

factor out the L

[tex]\frac{1}{3}} - \frac{1}{2\pi}Sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)\right] [/tex]

stuck here...when I work it out I get a negative number...am I mising something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{3}} - \frac{1}{2\pi}Sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)\right] [/tex]

I get a positive number -

sin(2pi/3) = 0.8660

0.8660/(2*pi ) = 0.1378

1/3 - 0.1378 = 0.1955

oh wow...stupid math mistake...forgot the parenthesis on my calc =(

thank you!

what would the probability of the particle be if x=1.95 and 2.05?

the answer is supposed to be .007, but I keep getting -.2921

I think you should be using cos instead of sin for the ground state.

1. What is the probability of finding a particle in a specific location?

The probability of finding a particle in a specific location is determined by the wave function of the particle, which describes the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a given location. The square of the wave function at a particular point represents the probability density of finding the particle at that point.

2. How is the probability of finding a particle calculated?

The probability of finding a particle is calculated by taking the square of the wave function at a specific point. This is known as the Born rule, which states that the probability of finding a particle at a certain location is proportional to the square of the wave function at that location.

3. Can the probability of finding a particle be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a particle cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total probability of finding a particle must always be equal to 1. If the probability exceeds 1, it means that there is a chance of finding the particle in multiple locations simultaneously, which is not allowed in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect the probability of finding a particle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This means that the probability of finding a particle in a specific location cannot be determined with 100% certainty, as there will always be some uncertainty due to the particle's momentum.

5. Can the probability of finding a particle change over time?

Yes, the probability of finding a particle can change over time. This is because the wave function of the particle evolves over time, and thus the probability of finding it in a particular location can also change. This is the basis of quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles is described by the evolution of their wave functions over time.