1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of finding a particle in a box

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider ψ (x) for a particle in a box:

ψn(x) = (2/L)1/2sin(n∏x/L)

Calculate the probability of finding the particle in the middle half of the box (i.e., L/4 ≤ x ≤ 3L/4). Also, using this solution show that as ''n'' goes to infinity you get the classical solution of 0.5.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I integrated and figured out the probability for n=1,2,3. For n=1 I got 1/2 + 1/∏ which is about 0.818. For n = 1 I got 1/2 and for n=3, I got 0.430.

I don't understand where the problem asks "Also, using this solution show that as ''n'' goes to infinity you get the classical solution of 0.5." From my calculations, as n goes to infinity, it does not approach a value of 0.5.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It will help if you can evaluate the integral for a general (unspecified) values of n and then look at the result as n goes to infinity.

From the 3 values you have obtained, you can't tell whether or not the probability is approaching any specific value as n gets large. (By the way, I agree with your answers for n = 1 and 2, but not for n = 3.)

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3
    Drawing a picture of some of the solutions might give you some insight into what kind of answer you are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook