1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of getting a streak

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a coin is tossed 200 times, what is the probability of getting 5 heads in a row?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the probability of getting 5 heads in a row for the first 4 flips is 0. I don't know what to do with that information.

1 - [(0.5)^5 * (0.5)^195] ?

I used this streak simulator:
    http://www.pulcinientertainment.com/info/Streak-Calculator-enter.html#ev-runs

And the probability is 0.965903381259682.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you familiar with Markov chains?

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3
    No, I am not. :frown:

We are starting binomial distributions in our stats class this week.

5. Dec 18, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then this rather an advanced problem. See e.g. http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...ngth-of-the-longest-run-in-n-bernoulli-trials, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Run.html.
    You can get a crude lower bound by chopping the 200 into 22 blocks of 9 (and 2 left over). (9, because 9 = 5*2-1, so there cannot be two separate runs of 5 in the same block.) This allows us to break it into 5 disjoint cases:
    - HHHHHxxxx
    - THHHHHxxx
    - xTHHHHHxx
    - xxTHHHHHx
    - xxxTHHHHH
    for a tot prob of 3/32.
    The prob that none of the 22 blocks have such a run is therefore (1-3/32)22 ≈ 0.11. But 0.89 is some way short of the 0.96 you found.

6. Dec 18, 2012 #5
    Oh you posted this before I was going to edit my first post.
    I asked this question earlier today and someone answered it. Would you mind explaining his solution to me?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...BRxA.2Lty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20121217171124AAPB2E5

What is (1/32)(1/2).
    Is this the probability of getting 5 heads for the first 5 flips multiplied by the probability of getting a head the next flip?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Dec 18, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It considers the last 5 toss outcomes at any point. If you've not had a run of 5Hs yet, the mutually exclusive possibilities can be categorised as:
    xxxxT
    xxxTH
    xxTHH
    xTHHH
    THHHH
    the probs being 1/2, 1/4, 1/8..., 1/32. It treats this as a 'steady state', i.e., so long as you've still not had a run of 5Hs this always represents the current state. (It's clearly not quite right because it does not add up to 1.)
    The prob of completing a run of 5Hs at the next toss is therefore 1/64. If we do not complete such a run, either because we toss a T or were not yet in the '4H' state, the assumption is that we remain in the 'steady state' distribution. So the prob of getting no run is (1-1/64)196 ≈ 4.6%

8. Dec 18, 2012 #7

Ah I see. Thank you.

[STRIKE]
    So let me summarize what I get out of this. And then would you correct me?

If we have not completed a run of 5H, then it can be assumed that we remain in 'steady state' distribution meaning it can be either of those mutually exclusive categories (P(0)-P(4)).

And 1/64 is the probability of completing a run. So to find out the probability of not completing a run, we subtract 1/64 from 1. And take it to the power of 196 because we subtract the first 4 flips which have a probability of 0 of flipping 5 heads consecutively.
    [/STRIKE]

I'm confused here:

xxxxT_ The probability of getting a head next: 1/2
    xxxTH_ The probability of getting a head next: 1/4
    xxTHH_ The probability of getting a head next: 1/8
    xTHHH_ The probabilit of getting head next: 1/16
    THHHH_ The probability of getting a head next: 1/32

And the probability of getting a run of 5H is 1/64.

But isn't the probability of getting 5 heads .5^5? Or is it because you flipped a Tails first.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. Dec 18, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, those are the probabilities of being in those states. In each case, the prob of a head next is 1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook