Probability of Peter Winning by 6 games to 3 or 6 games to 4 in a Tennis Match

In summary, we are trying to find the probability that Peter will win by either 6 games to 3 or 6 games to 4. This can be broken down into two events: Peter winning the next 3 games in a row, or Peter winning 3 while losing only 1 game to Alex. These scenarios can be represented by a sample space of W (win) and L (loss). The probability of Peter winning the next 3 games in a row is 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.8, and the probability of Peter winning 3 while losing only 1 game to Alex is 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.8 x 0.4.
Larrytsai
Peter and Alex plays tennis. Peter serves through out the first game, Alex serves throughout the second game. When Peter serves, the probability that he wins is 0.8. When Alex serves first the probability that Peter wins is 0.4. A game cannot be drawn.

After 6 games Peter and Alex both have won 3 games each. They will continue playing until one of them has won 6 games. Find the probability that Peter will win by either 6 games to 3 or 6 games to 4.

...so i have broken this question into these events.

Peter wins the next 3 games in a row, or

Peter wins 3 while losing only 1 match to alex.

Describing those scenarios I have formed a sample space describing whether Peter has won or loss denoted by 'W' and 'L' respectively.

{
LWWW
WLWW
WWLW
}

[EDIT]
so I know Peter will serve starting game 4, and it will alternate so I know the probability of each case described in sample space.

WWW = 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.8
and the rest will be = 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.8 x 0.4

now from here I do not know what to do, can someone clarify if my thought process is correct, and shoot me in the right direction?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Larrytsai said:
Peter and Alex plays tennis. Peter serves through out the first game, Alex serves throughout the second game. When Peter serves, the probability that he wins is 0.8. When Alex serves first the probability that Peter wins is 0.4. A game cannot be drawn.

After 6 games Peter and Alex both have won 3 games each. They will continue playing until one of them has won 6 games. Find the probability that Peter will win by either 6 games to 3 or 6 games to 4.

so i have broken this question into these events.

Peter wins the next 3 games in a row, or

Peter wins 3 while losing only 1 match to alex.

Describing those scenarios I have formed a sample space describing whether Peter has won or loss denoted by 'W' and 'L' respectively.

{
LWWW
WLWW
WWLW
}

[EDIT]
so I know Peter will serve starting game 4, and it will alternate so I know the probability of each case described in sample space.

WWW = 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.8
and the rest will be = 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.8 x 0.4

now from here I do not know what to do, can someone clarify if my thought process is correct, and shoot me in the right direction?

Thanks

Not too sure about you statement I have highlited red.

WLWW for a start will be 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.8 x 0.4 which is more than your answer, and there are the other two options to come. ?

Related to Probability of Peter Winning by 6 games to 3 or 6 games to 4 in a Tennis Match

1. What is the difference between statistics and probability?

Statistics is the study of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data in order to make predictions or conclusions about a population. Probability, on the other hand, is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring based on the available information. While statistics focuses on analyzing data, probability focuses on predicting outcomes.

2. How are statistics and probability used in real life?

Statistics and probability are used in a wide range of fields, including finance, medicine, psychology, and sports. They can be used to analyze trends, make predictions, and inform decision-making. For example, statistics can be used to analyze sales data and make predictions for future sales, while probability can be used to determine the likelihood of a medical treatment being successful.

3. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing a set of data, while inferential statistics involves using data from a sample to make predictions or draw conclusions about a larger population. Descriptive statistics may include measures such as mean, median, and standard deviation, while inferential statistics may include hypothesis testing and confidence intervals.

4. How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 is 1/6, because there is one favorable outcome (rolling a 3) out of six possible outcomes (rolling a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6).

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability?

Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. For example, flipping a coin twice and getting heads on the first flip does not affect the probability of getting heads on the second flip. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events where the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of another event. For example, drawing two cards from a deck without replacing the first card will result in different probabilities for the second card depending on the outcome of the first draw.