1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability problem (counting numbers which are not divisible by ##k##

1. Aug 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose one extracts a ball from a box containing ##n## numbered balls from ##1## to ##n##. For each ##1 \leq k \leq n##, we define ##A_k=\{\text{the number of the chosen ball is divisible by k}\}.##

Find ##P(A_k)## for each natural number which divides ##n##.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought of thinking of ##P(A_k)## as ##P(A_k)=1-P({A_k}^c)##. And ##P({A_k}^c)=\{\text{the number of the chosen ball is not divisible by k}\}##. If ##k\geq 3##, then I know how many numbers less than ##k## are coprime with ##k## (Euler's totient function), however, in this case I would need the numbers greater than ##k## which are not divisible by ##k##. I don't know how to count them. I couldn't think of anything else, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I understand what you are saying, ##P(A_2)## is the probability of choosing an even number, while ##P(A_3)## is the probability of choosing a multiple of 3, ##P(A_4)## is the probability of choosing a multiple of 4, etc. Is that right? As it stands, there seems to be an ambiguity: ##A_2 \cap A_4 \neq \emptyset##, etc. Would that be OK?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. Aug 24, 2014 #3
    It is exactly as you've said, sorry for not making myself clear.

5. Aug 24, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A number is divisible by k if it is a multiple of it ...
    What is the largest m such that ##mk \leq n##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted