• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Probability: Proof of E[X/X+Y]=(X+Y)/2, X and Y are i.i.d. r.v.

• Thread starter Sandbo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Given that X and Y are i.i.d. r.v, and E[X]<infinity.
Any idea how to prove that E[X/X+Y]=E[Y/X+Y]=(X+Y)/2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that E[X] or E[Y] are constants, how come it now says E[X/X+Y] = (X+Y)/2 which is a r.v.?
and for X and Y being independent, E[XY]=E[X]E[Y], but now it is E[X/X+Y], which I think it means E[X/(X+Y)], the upper and lower aren't independent, we cannot write E[X]/E[X+Y]........no idea where to begin with.

Any help is appreciated.

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This seems wierd to me, both for the reason you mention, that ##E[f(X,Y)]## can't be a function of the random variables, and also because you can easily show that

$$ E[X/(X+Y)] + E[Y/(X+Y)] = 1$$

for a normalized distribution. So the only way we can have ##E[X/(X+Y)] = E[Y/(X+Y)]## is if they are both 1/2.

Aside from those concerns, one way to approach the reciprocal of a random variable is through a power series. Namely, given a random variable ##X##, we can define a new random variable ##X'## by

$$ X = \bar{X} + X',~~~~ E[X']=0,$$

where ## \bar{X} = E[X]##. Then, if ##\bar{X}\neq 0##, we can use the geometric series to define

$$ \frac{1}{X} = \frac{1}{\bar{X}} \sum_{n\geq 0} (-1)^n \left( \frac{X'}{\bar{X}} \right)^n ,$$

which is convergent if ##|X'| \leq |\bar{X}|##. A similar construction would serve to define ##1/(X+Y)## or similar rational functions.

If you weren't already given a seemingly misleading answer to the question, this is the approach I would suggest.

Likes 1 person