1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: Proof of E[X/X+Y]=(X+Y)/2, X and Y are i.i.d. r.v.

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that X and Y are i.i.d. r.v, and E[X]<infinity.
    Any idea how to prove that E[X/X+Y]=E[Y/X+Y]=(X+Y)/2?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that E[X] or E[Y] are constants, how come it now says E[X/X+Y] = (X+Y)/2 which is a r.v.?
    and for X and Y being independent, E[XY]=E[X]E[Y], but now it is E[X/X+Y], which I think it means E[X/(X+Y)], the upper and lower aren't independent, we cannot write E[X]/E[X+Y]........no idea where to begin with.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This seems wierd to me, both for the reason you mention, that ##E[f(X,Y)]## can't be a function of the random variables, and also because you can easily show that

$$ E[X/(X+Y)] + E[Y/(X+Y)] = 1$$

for a normalized distribution. So the only way we can have ##E[X/(X+Y)] = E[Y/(X+Y)]## is if they are both 1/2.

Aside from those concerns, one way to approach the reciprocal of a random variable is through a power series. Namely, given a random variable ##X##, we can define a new random variable ##X'## by

$$ X = \bar{X} + X',~~~~ E[X']=0,$$

where ## \bar{X} = E[X]##. Then, if ##\bar{X}\neq 0##, we can use the geometric series to define

$$ \frac{1}{X} = \frac{1}{\bar{X}} \sum_{n\geq 0} (-1)^n \left( \frac{X'}{\bar{X}} \right)^n ,$$

which is convergent if ##|X'| \leq |\bar{X}|##. A similar construction would serve to define ##1/(X+Y)## or similar rational functions.

If you weren't already given a seemingly misleading answer to the question, this is the approach I would suggest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted