Probability Q using Stirling's Formula

In summary: B0aGUgcHJvYmxlbSBpcyBhIGxhcmdlIGdyb3VwIG9mIHBvcGVyLCBjb25zdGl0aW5nIG9mIGV4Y2VwdCBOTyB3b21lbiBhbmQgMk4gd29tZW4uIFRoZSBncm91cCBpcyBzbGl0IGluIGhhbGYgYXQgcmFuZG9tLiBXaGF0IGlzIHRoaW5raW5nIDI1My4gTQpodHRwczovL3d3dy5jb21tYW
dspampi
Suppose that there is a large group of people, consisting of exactly 2N women and 2N men. The group is split in half at random. What is the probability that each half contains exactly N women and N men?

And the second part asks for a given N, set up Stirling's Formula so you can calculate the approx value for a given N.

I am having trouble thinking how to set up this problem. I know as N gets bigger, the possible combinations increase...I'm thinking 2^n.
I also know that the order does not matter, but with each selection you are taking removing someone from the pool of 4N people.

Physics news on Phys.org
dspampi said:
Suppose that there is a large group of people, consisting of exactly 2N women and 2N men. The group is split in half at random. What is the probability that each half contains exactly N women and N men?

And the second part asks for a given N, set up Stirling's Formula so you can calculate the approx value for a given N.

I am having trouble thinking how to set up this problem. I know as N gets bigger, the possible combinations increase...I'm thinking 2^n.
I also know that the order does not matter, but with each selection you are taking removing someone from the pool of 4N people.

You want a _hypergeometric_ distribution here. The hypergeometric describes the following: given a population of M items, M1 of type 1 and M2 of type 2, suppose you extract a a sample of n items at random without replacement. What is the probability your sample contains exactly k items of type 1? In your case, M = 2N, M1 = M2 = N, n = N and k = N. There are standard formulas for the hypergeometric distribution.

RGV

1. What is Stirling's formula and how is it used in probability?

Stirling's formula, also known as Stirling's approximation, is an approximation for the factorial of a large number. It is commonly used in probability to approximate the number of ways to arrange a large number of objects. This is helpful when calculating probabilities involving combinations or permutations.

2. Can Stirling's formula be used for all types of probability problems?

No, Stirling's formula is most commonly used for problems involving large numbers and discrete probability distributions. It may not be accurate for continuous probability distributions or problems involving small numbers.

3. How do you use Stirling's formula to calculate probability?

To use Stirling's formula to calculate probability, first determine the number of objects or events involved in the problem. Then, use the formula n! ≈ √(2πn)(n/e)^n to approximate the factorial of n. Finally, plug this approximation into the desired probability formula.

4. Are there any limitations to using Stirling's formula in probability calculations?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Stirling's formula in probability calculations. It may not be accurate for small numbers or continuous probability distributions. Additionally, it is an approximation and may not give an exact answer.

5. Can Stirling's formula be used in conjunction with other probability formulas?

Yes, Stirling's formula can be used in conjunction with other probability formulas. It is often used in combination with the binomial distribution, hypergeometric distribution, and Poisson distribution to approximate probabilities involving large numbers.