1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability Question - Nonstandard Normal Distributions

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataThe weight of eggs produced by a certain type of hen varies according to a distribution that is approximately normal with mean 6.5 grams and standard deviation 2 grams.

What is the probability that the average of a random sample of the weights of 25 eggs will be less than 6 grams

2. Relevant equations
    P(X<6)=P((6-6.5)/σ)

3. The attempt at a solution - The part I can't figure out is how to arrive at sigma. This is a problem from a practice exam, so I already know that sigma is 0.40. If I'm understanding correctly, then that would make V(X) = 4/25. I just can't figure out how to arrive at these conclusion from the data that is given. I'm pretty stumped.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

your problem asks about the probability the MEAN of a sample will be a certain size. what do you know about distributions of sample means?

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    Not much.

I think I figured out why sigma is what it is though. Since the SD is 2 grams, it follows that V(X) = 4. Since I'm trying to find out what the average of X is, I divide 4 by 25. that is how I get the 4/25. From there sigma is easy. I think that is kind of close anyway.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

You've essentially got it. If you take a sample of size [tex] n [/tex] from a normally distributed population, then [tex] \overline X [/tex] has a normal distribution. For the
    distribution of [tex] \overline X [/tex],

[tex]
    \mu = \text{ original population mean}
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    \sigma = \frac{\text{Original standard deviation}}{\sqrt n}
    [/tex]

As long as the original population itself has a normal distribution, this is true
    for any sample size.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook