Probability question with cups

In summary, there are 90 possible arrangements of the cups, 10 distinct arrangements where no cup is on a saucer of the same pattern, and a probability of 1/9 that no cup is on a saucer of the same color.
Mark53

Homework Statement

[/B]
There are six pairs of cups and saucers; two are red, two are white and two blue.

1. Ignoring the saucers, calculate the number of distinct arrangements of the cups.
2.Determine the number of distinct arrangements such that no cup is on a saucer of the same pattern for some choice of order for the saucers.
3. Calculate the probability that no cup is on a saucer of the same colour.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1)

(6!)/(2!2!2!)=90 possible arrangements

2)

we need to look at all the possible scenarios

a) red cups are on the white saucers then the blue cups must be on the red saucers

b) Red cups are on the blue saucers then the white cups must be on the red saucers

c) If one red cup is on a white saucer and one red cup is on a blue saucer, then there are 2 choices for the white saucer and 2 choices for the blue saucer. The remaining white saucer must have a blue cup, and the remaining blue saucer must have a white cup; so there 2 ways to arrange the blue cup and white cup that are left on the red saucers.

This gives a total of 1+1+2*2*2=10 ARRANGEMENTS

Have i missed any arrangements?

3)

10/90 = 1/9

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark53 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
There are six pairs of cups and saucers; two are red, two are white and two blue.

1. Ignoring the saucers, calculate the number of distinct arrangements of the cups.
2.Determine the number of distinct arrangements such that no cup is on a saucer of the same pattern for some choice of order for the saucers.
3. Calculate the probability that no cup is on a saucer of the same colour.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1)

(6!)/(2!2!2!)=90 possible arrangements

2)

we need to look at all the possible scenarios

a) red cups are on the white saucers then the blue cups must be on the red saucers

b) Red cups are on the blue saucers then the white cups must be on the red saucers

c) If one red cup is on a white saucer and one red cup is on a blue saucer, then there are 2 choices for the white saucer and 2 choices for the blue saucer. The remaining white saucer must have a blue cup, and the remaining blue saucer must have a white cup; so there 2 ways to arrange the blue cup and white cup that are left on the red saucers.

This gives a total of 1+1+2*2*2=10 ARRANGEMENTS

Have i missed any arrangements?

3)

10/90 = 1/9
Looks right.

What is the probability of choosing a specific cup?

The probability of choosing a specific cup depends on the total number of cups and the number of cups that contain the specific cup. For example, if there are 10 cups and only 1 contains the specific cup, the probability would be 1/10 or 10%.

How many cups do I need to choose from to have a 50% chance of choosing the specific cup?

This question is related to the concept of "expected value," which takes into account the probability of each potential outcome. In order to have a 50% chance of choosing the specific cup, you would need to have 2 cups to choose from. Any more than that would increase the probability even further.

What is the probability of choosing the specific cup if I have already chosen a cup without replacing it?

The probability of choosing the specific cup in this scenario would depend on the total number of cups and the number of remaining cups that contain the specific cup. If you have not replaced the cup, the probability would decrease for each cup you have already chosen.

How does the probability change if I add or remove cups from the group?

The probability of choosing the specific cup would change depending on the number of cups added or removed. Adding cups would increase the probability, while removing cups would decrease it. However, the exact change in probability would depend on the number of cups added or removed and the total number of cups.

Can I use probability to predict which cup I will choose?

No, probability is based on chance and cannot predict with certainty which cup will be chosen. It can only give an estimation of the likelihood of choosing a specific cup based on the number of cups and their contents.