1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Review - Expectations

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to review basic probability; haven't looked at it in a couple of years. Am I on the right track here?

A and B are independent random variables, uniform distribution on [0,1]. Find: E(min(A,B))

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{a}b\,db\,da + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{1} \int_{a}^{1}a\,db\,da[/tex]

[tex]=\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}\frac{a^2}{2}\,da+\int_{0}^{1}a-a^2\,da[/tex]

[tex]=1/6+3/6-2/6=1/3[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good to me.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I also need to find [tex]E(|A-B|)[/tex] and [tex]E((A+B)^2)[/tex]

For the second one: [tex]E((A+B)^2)=E(A)+2E(A)E(B)+E(B)[/tex] and so on ...

Can somebody give me a hint for: [tex]E(|A-B|)[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You'll need to break the integral up into two regions again, A<B and B>A. In one region, |A-B| = A-B, and in the other, |A-B| = B-A.

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The claim [tex]E((A+B)^2)=E(A)+2E(A)E(B)+E(B)[/tex] is false. For general bivariate (A,B) the correct result is [tex] E (A+B)^2 = E(A^2) + E(B^2) + 2E(AB).[/tex] If A and B happen to be independent (or, at least, uncorrelated) then we have [itex] E(AB) = E(A) \cdot E(B), [/itex] but for general (A,B) this fails. More generally, if A has variance [itex]\sigma_A^2[/itex], B has variance [itex] \sigma_B^2[/itex] and the pair (A,B) has covariance [itex] \sigma_{AB},[/itex] then
    [tex] E(A+B)^2 = \mbox{Var}(A+B) + (EA + EB)^2 = \sigma_A^2 + \sigma_B^2 + 2 \sigma_{AB} + (EA + EB)^2. [/tex]

RGV

7. Feb 7, 2012 #6
    Oh yes, I forgot to square [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. For this problem they are independent (guess I should have mentioned that). So:
    [tex]E((A+B)^2)=E(A^2)+E(B^2)+2E(A)B(A)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook