1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability theory: a regenerative process

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all I'm trying to find the expected time of a cycle. In a cycle two things can happen:

1) the car lives long enough to reach A with probability 1-F(A)
    2) the car fails to reach age A with probability F(A)

Knowing this how can you compute the liftime of a cycle? I thought of something like:

E(T) =A*(1-F(A)) + F(A) * ? (I don't know what to fill in the question mark)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

E(T) is the expected value of T ~ F conditional on T < A. But you can directly solve for the expected resale price:

Let event 1 be {the car fails before A}. If event 1 occurs then resale value = 0 (do you see this?)
    Let event 2 be {the car lives to A} (that is, it lives to see A, and possibly more). If event 2 occurs then resale value = R(A).

Suppose the probability of event 1 was G. Convince yourself that the prob. of event 2 must be 1 - G.

Then E(resale value) = G * 0 + (1-G) * R(A).

What you should think about is how to find G.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    So the expected life of a cycle is: [tex] E[T|T<A] = \int_0^{A} x f(x)\ \mbox{d}x[/tex]

Yes It's stated in the exercise.

That's clear.

I presume that G must be F(A). But the question asks for the costs so how do I incorporate that in the resale value given that there are two different outcomes?

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once you figure the expected resale value, you can use it to figure the expected net cost, defined as cash expenses - expected resale value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?