1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability with different populations and functions

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an organsataion employees work either in marketing or sales. 40% are male. 70% of the men work in sales. 60% female. 50% of the women work in marketing.

What is the probability that a randomly selected employee is either male and/or works in marketing?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

P(male) = 0.4
    P(employee works in marketing) = 0.42
    P(male working in marketing) = 0.4 x 0.3 = 0.12

I know it's simple, but I'm very confused now (and stupid!). I would be really grateful if someone could help with this, please?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2
    It's been a while since I did probablity, but I'm pretty sure this is not Calculus, and that question doesn't make much sense to me, I guess I lost touch with basic maths...

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may help to think of numbers of employees rather than probabilities. Suppose the total number of employees is N. So the number of male employees is 0.4*N eg. Then if you add the number of females who work in marketing to the total number of males and divide by N, you will have it.

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4
    Thank you.

So it there are 100 employees, 40 will be male (of which 12 work in marketing), and there will be 30 women working in marketing too. So I add 40 and 30, getting 70 and the 70/100 = 0.7. Is that right, please?

6. Aug 27, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or just say .4*N are male and .6*.5*N are female and in marketing. Total .7*N. Probability .7*N/N=.7.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?