Probabiltity space and random variables

In summary, we have a set \Omega of points and subsets C_{i}, as well as a probability space (\Omega, F, P) with B_{i} as the events and i/10 as the probability. We are asked to determine which of the given functions X:\Omega \rightarrow R are random variables and to derive their distributions. (i) is a random variable with a distribution of 0 for (-\infty , -3), 2/5 for [-3, 2), and 1 for [2, \infty). (ii) is not a random variable. (iii) is a random variable with a distribution of 0 for (-\infty , 0), 4
rosh300

Homework Statement

[tex]\Omega [/tex] is a set of points [tex]\omega ; C_{i} i [/tex] = 1, 2, ... 7 are subsets of [tex] \Omega[/tex];
and ([tex] \Omega[/tex], F, P) = ([tex]B_{i}, i/10, i = 1, 2, 3, 4 [/tex]) is a probability modal
with [tex] B_{1} = C_{1} \cup C_{7}, B_{2} = C_{2} \cup C_{6}, B_{3} = C_{3} \cup C_{5} and B_{4} = C_{4}[/tex].
State which of the following functions X:[tex]\Omega \rightarrow [/tex] R are random variables defined on (\Omega, F, P) and derive the distributions.

(i)[tex] X(\omega) = -3 [/tex] for [tex] \omega \in C_{1} \cup C_{7} \cup C_{3} \cup C_{5} [/tex] with [tex] X(\omega) = 2 [/tex] otherwise

(ii) [tex]X(\omega) = 1 for \omega \in C_{1} \cup C_{7}, X(\omega) = 2 [/tex] for [tex] \omega \in C_{3} \cup C_{4} and X(\omega) = 2 [/tex] for [tex] \omega \in C_{2} \cup C_{5} \cup C_{6} [/tex]

(iii)[tex] X(\omega) = (v-4)^{2} for \omega \in C_{v}, v = 1, 2, ... 7 [/tex]

Homework Equations

definition of random varibale, probability space

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) random variable
Distrubution:
(-[tex]\infty [/tex], -3) = 0
[-3, 2) = 1/10 + 3/10 = 2/5
[2,[tex] \infty [/tex]) = 1

(ii) not a random variable

(iii) random variable
distrubution:
(-[tex]\infty [/tex], 0) = 0,
[0, 1) = 4/10
[1, 4) = 7/10
[4, 9) = 9/10
[9, [tex]\infty [/tex]] = 1

Physics news on Phys.org

A probability space is a mathematical construct used to model random experiments or processes. It consists of three parts: a sample space (\Omega) which is the set of all possible outcomes of the experiment, a sigma-algebra (F) which is a collection of subsets of \Omega, and a probability measure (P) which assigns a probability to each event in the sigma-algebra. Random variables are functions defined on the sample space that assign a numerical value to each outcome. They allow us to analyze the probabilities of different events and outcomes in a probabilistic experiment.

In the given problem, \Omega is the set of points \omega, C_{i} are subsets of \Omega, and ( \Omega, F, P) is a probability model with B_{i} defined as the union of certain subsets of \Omega. This means that the probability measure P assigns a probability of i/10 to the event B_{i}.

For the first function X(\omega), we can see that it assigns a value of -3 to all outcomes in the sets C_{1}, C_{3}, C_{5}, and C_{7}, and a value of 2 to all other outcomes. This is a valid random variable since it assigns a numerical value to each outcome in the sample space. The distribution can be derived by considering the probabilities assigned to each set in the sample space.

For the second function X(\omega), it is not a valid random variable since it assigns different values to the same outcomes in the sample space. For example, it assigns a value of 1 to outcomes in both C_{1} and C_{7}, and a value of 2 to outcomes in both C_{3} and C_{4}. This violates the definition of a random variable.

The third function X(\omega) assigns the square of the index of the subset in which the outcome \omega belongs to. This is also a valid random variable, and the distribution can be derived by considering the probabilities assigned to each subset in the sample space.

Overall, a probability space and random variables are important concepts in probability theory that allow us to analyze and make predictions about the outcomes of random experiments.

1. What is a probability space?

A probability space is a mathematical model that represents a set of possible outcomes for a random experiment, along with their associated probabilities. It consists of a sample space, which is the set of all possible outcomes, and a probability measure, which assigns probabilities to each outcome.

2. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a variable that takes on different values based on the outcomes of a random experiment. It is represented by a function that maps outcomes from the sample space to numerical values. Random variables can be discrete or continuous, depending on the nature of the outcomes.

3. How is probability calculated for a random variable?

The probability of a random variable is calculated by summing or integrating the probabilities of all outcomes that correspond to the variable's value. This can be done using the probability distribution function, which maps each value of the variable to its corresponding probability.

4. What is the difference between a discrete and a continuous random variable?

A discrete random variable can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while a continuous random variable can take on any value within a specific range. Discrete random variables are typically associated with discrete probability distributions, while continuous random variables are associated with continuous probability distributions.

5. How are probability spaces and random variables used in real-world applications?

Probability spaces and random variables are used in a variety of fields, including finance, economics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to model uncertain events and make predictions based on probability. For example, in finance, probability spaces and random variables are used to model stock prices and make investment decisions based on the likelihood of different outcomes.