Problem about the sum of the divisors of a number

In summary: There is also a trivial upper bound: a number ##n## cannot have more divisors than all numbers ##1,\ldots, \dfrac{n}{2}##. So ##\sigma(n) \leq 1+\ldots + \dfrac{n}{2}=\dfrac{1}{8}(n^2+2n)##. What does that mean for ##\sigma(n)\geq kn##?In summary, the condition for ##\sigma(n)## is that the number of positive divisors for ##N_k## is greater than or equal to ##k## times ##N_k##.
phymath7
Homework Statement
The sum of divisor function σ(n) returns the sum of all positive divisors d of the number n. We denote ##N_k## any number that fulfils the following condition:
σ(##N_K##) ≥##k.N_K##.
Find examples for ##N_3##;##N_4##;##N_5## and prove that they fulfil this condition.
Relevant Equations
##σ(n)=\frac{p_{1}^{a_1+1}-1}{p_1-1}.\frac{p_{2}^{a_2+1}-1}{p_2-1}.......\frac{p_{k}^{a_k+1}-1}{p_k-1}##
I've found that ##N_1## is 1. But it's really tiresome to find them one by one. I also tried to use the equation but couldn't. Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand your condition. What is ##k##, what ##N_K##, what ##K##? Can you say what the condition for ##\sigma(N_3)## is?

Are the ##p_i## in your first equation the prime divisors of ##N##? Like fresh said, can you give as one worked example? Also, if '.' stands for product, please use \cdot instead? Edit: If you want a number that is less than the sum of its proper divisors, then 12, 18, 20 are examples. Is this what you're looking for?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I do not understand your condition. What is ##k##, what ##N_K##, what ##K##? Can you say what the condition for ##\sigma(N_3)## is?
I believe the condition stated in words is that the number of positive divisors for ##N_k## is greater than or equal to ##k## times ##N_k##, for example, if ##n## is ##N_3## then it must have ##\sigma(n) \geq 3n##. So basically the ##N_k## are best thought of as classes.

GwtBc said:
I believe the condition stated in words is that the number of positive divisors for ##N_k## is greater than or equal to ##k## times ##N_k##, for example, if ##n## is ##N_3## then it must have ##\sigma(n) \geq 3n##. So basically the ##N_k## are best thought of as classes.
Yes, but what are the k's about? What is , e.g.##N_3##?

WWGD said:
Yes, but what are the k's about? What is , e.g.##N_3##?
If ##n## satisfies ##\sigma(n) \geq 3n## then ##n \in N_3##, so ##N_1 \subseteq N_2 \subseteq N_3 \subseteq ...##. OP denotes ##n## by ##N_3## instead but that would just be confusing since there is clearly more than one such number, and it doesn't make a difference to the problem so...

What's not clear to me is what the ##a_i## are. I assume the ##p_i## are the prime divisors of ##n##? @phymath7

The ##a_i## are the powers in the prime decomposition of ##n=p_1^{a_1}\cdots p_k^{a_k}##.

So for ##N_3## we have all numbers ##n## with three prime factors plus the condition that ##\sigma(n)\geq 3n##? ##\sigma(N_3)\geq 3N_3## still makes no sense: You defined it by using it! The closest I come from all what you wrote is
$$
N_3 = \{\,n\,|\,\exists \,p_1,p_2,p_3\text{ prime and }\exists\,a_1,a_2,a_3\in \mathbb{Z}\, : \,n=p_1^{a_1}p_2^{a_2}p_3^{a_3}\,\wedge\,\sigma(n)\geq 3n\,\,\}
$$
but that is a guess.

fresh_42 said:
The ##a_i## are the powers in the prime decomposition of ##n=p_1^{a_1}\cdots p_k^{a_k}##.

So for ##N_3## we have all numbers ##n## with three prime factors plus the condition that ##\sigma(n)\geq 3n##? ##\sigma(N_3)\geq 3N_3## still makes no sense: You defined it by using it! The closest I come from all what you wrote is
$$
N_3 = \{\,n\,|\,\exists \,p_1,p_2,p_3\text{ prime and }\exists\,a_1,a_2,a_3\in \mathbb{Z}\, : \,n=p_1^{a_1}p_2^{a_2}p_3^{a_3}\,\wedge\,\sigma(n)\geq 3n\,\,\}
$$
but that is a guess.
I'm sorry as there is some problem in the first post. The homework equation would be like this,if ##n=p_1^{a_1}\cdots p_j^{a_j}## then, ##σ(n) = \frac {p_1^{a_1+1}} {P_1-1}\cdots \frac {p_t^{a_j+1}} {P_j-1}##.I just mixed up with j and k.Now please do what you can.

So let's start with ##N_3##. We thus have
$$
3n = 3 \cdot p_1^{a_1}\cdots p_j^{a_j}\leq \dfrac{p_1^{a_{1}+1}-1}{p_1-1} \cdots \dfrac{p_j^{a_{j}+1}-1}{p_j-1}= \sigma(n)
$$
You are requested to give an example. So choose some primes and play with this inequality until you find ##p_i## and ##a_i## for which it holds.

There is also a trivial upper bound: a number ##n## cannot have more divisors than all numbers ##1,\ldots, \dfrac{n}{2}##. So ##\sigma(n) \leq 1+\ldots + \dfrac{n}{2}=\dfrac{1}{8}(n^2+2n)##. What does that mean for ##\sigma(n)\geq kn##?

Last edited:

1. What is the sum of divisors?

The sum of divisors of a number is the total sum of all the numbers that can divide evenly into that number. For example, the divisors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12. The sum of these divisors is 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 12 = 28.

2. How do you find the sum of divisors?

To find the sum of divisors of a number, you can use a formula that involves the prime factorization of the number. The formula is:
S = (p1a1 + 1)(p2a2 + 1)...(pnan + 1), where p1, p2, ..., pn are the distinct prime factors of the number, and a1, a2, ..., an are their respective powers.

3. Why is the sum of divisors important in mathematics?

The sum of divisors is important in number theory as it can help determine the properties of a number. For example, if the sum of divisors of a number is greater than the number itself, it is called an abundant number. If the sum of divisors is less than the number, it is called a deficient number. The sum of divisors is also used in various mathematical problems and puzzles.

4. Can the sum of divisors be negative?

No, the sum of divisors cannot be negative. Divisors are always positive numbers, so the sum of all the divisors will also be positive. However, if the number itself is negative, the sum of divisors will also be negative.

5. How can the sum of divisors be used to find perfect numbers?

A perfect number is a number whose sum of divisors (excluding the number itself) is equal to the number. For example, 6 is a perfect number because its divisors (1, 2, 3) add up to 6. The sum of divisors formula can be used to find perfect numbers by checking if the sum is equal to the number. However, there is no known formula to generate all perfect numbers, and only a few are known so far.